Policy Governing the Commemoration of Athletic Jerseys
The following list of criteria is not meant to be all inclusive, although items A and B shall be considered as basic requirements for all candidates. Additional criteria could be considered if they seem substantive and appropriate. It is not expected that a nominee will have met every one of the criteria listed. It is expected, however, that any limitations in one area shall be counter-balanced by superiority in other areas.
The criteria to be considered are as follows:
- Be named to a nationally recognized All-America Team, such as Associated Press, Walter Camp, American Football Coaches Association, Football Writers Association of America, etc.
- Be named a Conference "Player of the Year".
- Be named All-Conference for at least two years during undergraduate career.
- Bring positive recognition and prominence to the University and themselves through their accomplishment.
- Be a statistical leader in a recognized category as maintained by the Conference in that sport.
- Be a statistical leader in a recognized category as maintained by the University in that sport.
The honor shall be the retirement of the student-athlete's jersey not his/her number. A coach may choose not to reissue a given number, but the retirement of the student-athlete's jersey would not in and of itself require that the number never be worn again.
It is anticipated that at the retirement of the student-athlete's jersey, a ceremony shall be held along with an appropriate display with some sign of identification.
Commemorated UCF Athletics Jerseys (as of 10/23/10)
|Baseball||#18 (Tim Barker)|
|Football||#1 (Wayne Densch/Philanthropy)|
| ||#8 (Daunte Culpepper)|
| ||#19 (Joe Burnett)|
| ||#24 (Kevin Smith)|
|Men's Basketball||#23 (Bo Clark)|
| ||HC (Torchy Clark/Head Coach)|
|Women's Soccer||#10 (Michelle Akers)|