April 1, 2008
Box Score in PDF Format
Wednesday's Preview in PDF Format
ORLANDO, Fla. (www.ucfathletics.com) - While a record crowd of 2,397 entered the gates of Jay Bergman Field, the No. 25 UCF baseball team could not send them home happy as USF hammered the Knights, 17-4, Tuesday night. The loss to the Bulls (14-13) dropped UCF's record to 22-7 on the year.
The attendance broke the previous school and stadium record of 2,170, set during the first game in Jay Bergman Field history against Florida International Feb. 3, 2001. It was just the second time that a crowd of over 2,000 fans took in a ballgame at UCF.
Starting pitcher Caleb Graham struggled through the first inning, surrendering four runs on three USF hits. UCF was able to make it 4-1 in the bottom half, earning a two-out RBI single from junior Eric Kallstrom. The Bulls then ran Graham from the game in the second by plating two more runs for a 6-1 advantage. In the third, Stephen Hunt pushed it to 7-1 on a solo homer to right off reliever Evan Stobbs, and USF later added five more runs in the frame.
The Knights managed to get their leadoff hitter aboard in each of the first four innings only to see USF starter Matt Stull allow just the first-inning run and then an RBI single by junior Colin Arnold in the fourth. Now trailing 12-2, UCF hurler Matt Goodyear gave up three in the fifth and Cory Weech had two runs tallied off him in the sixth. Knight freshman infielder Stephen Branca finished the game's scoring in the eighth with a two-run single.
UCF continues non-conference play with a Wednesday match-up against Florida Gulf Coast at home at 6:30 p.m.
Season tickets as well as single-game tickets to check out UCF baseball this year are currently available by contacting the UCF Ticket Office at 407-823-1000, or by going online at www.ucfathletics.com, the official site for UCF varsity sports. Also check out UCFPhotos.com, the exclusive fan source for UCF action sports pictures.
USF - 14-13 Overall, 4-5 Big East
No. 25 UCF - 22-7 Overall, 2-4 Conference USA
WP: Matt Stull (2-0), 6.0 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 1 ER, 1 BB, 3 K
LP: Caleb Graham (1-2), 1.1 IP, 4 H, 6 R, 5 ER, 1 BB, 1 K
- The Knights have now lost three-straight home games and four of their last five after starting the year 18-0.
- Shane Brown was hit by a pitch for the 12th time this year, which tied for eighth most in single-season history. It also was his 15th career HBP to put him in a tie for 10th on the all-time list.
- Dwayne Bailey moved his team lead in stolen bases to 15 with a steal in the fourth inning. UCF has now stolen at least one base in 23 of its last 24 games.
- UCF pitchers struck out 11 hitters, marking the 20th time they posted at least 10 in a game this season.
- Cory Weech struck out five in 4.1 innings of relief.