Feb. 24, 2014
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
The Last Meeting
March 20, 2013
Baseball Unable to Complete Rally at Jacksonville
The UCF baseball team was unable to complete a late-inning rally at Jacksonville on Wednesday afternoon, falling to the Dolphins, 7-5. The fourth game of the season series had its first pitch delayed 76 minutes due to rain prior to the original 12 p.m. start time.
By Andrew Jennette
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – Coming off a successful home tournament last weekend, the UCF baseball team looks to accomplish something it has yet to experience this season; a win on the road. The Knights head up I-95 on Tuesday to take on Jacksonville at 6 p.m. from John Sessions Stadium.
UCF-JU Game Notes
Tuesday night’s in-state showdown can be heard online via UCF All-Access audio stream. Bryan Levine will be on the call with pregame beginning at 5:45 p.m.
The Dolphins come into the contest with a 1-5 record after dropping a pair last weekend to UCF’s American Athletic Conference foe Rutgers. Traditionally, this matchup has been one of the most even in UCF history as the Black and Gold lead the all-time series, 37-35.
On the mound for the Knights (5-2) will be freshman LHP Vinnie Rosace. The Lake Mary native will make his first start of the year after appearing in four relief outings during the first two weeks of the season. He will be opposed by Dolphins junior RHP Alex McRae who is 0-2 with a 10.12 ERA.
Rosace will look to continue to the positive trend set by the Knights’ rotation thus far. UCF’s starting pitchers have gotten off to an excellent start this season as they hold a 3-0 record and 2.61 ERA in seven outings.
During last weekend’s UCF Baseball Tournament, junior Derrick Salberg caught fire at the plate. Salberg notched eight hits and scored four runs in just 12 at-bats. The Kelso, Wash., native was named to The American weekly honor roll for his efforts. Junior James Vasquez also shined as he hit .333 for the weekend and extended his hitting streak to a season-best four games.
Trending Topics: @UCF_Baseball
• With #UCF leading 37-35 in 72 all-time meetings, this rivalry is one of the tightest in program history #NearlyDeadlocked
• After a two-year hiatus, the Knights took two-of-three from the Dolphins in a weekend series last season #RivalryRenewed
• Pitchers Trent Thompson and Tyler Martin each earned their first-career save in the #UCF Baseball Tourney. #Finishers
• Freshman Vinnie Rosace will make his first-career start for the Knights on Tuesday in Jacksonville #FreshFace
• CF Derrick Salberg went 8-for-12 during the #UCF Baseball Tourney and leads the Knights in AVG (.400) and OBP (.471) #EnFuego
• Relievers Parker Thomas and Joe Marotta have combined to allow just two hits in nine innings pitched #HighLeverage
• OF Erik Barber leads the team with 8 RBIs in 7 starts. He had 5 RBIs in 17 starts a season ago #ComingIntoHisOwn
• #UCF checked in at No. 30 in the second attendance report of the year, totaling 9,136 fans so far this year #HelloTop30
• The Knights currently sit atop The American by only hitting into one double play in seven games #HustleDownTheLine
• SS Tommy Williams leads The American with two home runs, the first two of his career #PowerSurge
To purchase season or single-game tickets, visit our Baseball Ticket Central page, or call the UCFAA Sales & Service Office at (407) UCF-1000. Stay up-to-date on all the latest baseball news by visiting UCFKnights.com and by following the team on Twitter @UCF_Baseball, Facebook and Instagram.