Feb. 27, 2014
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Andrew Jennette
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – In the midst of a season-high, five-game road trip, the UCF baseball team travels to No. 24 Ole Miss for a three-game set beginning Friday night at 7:30 p.m. It is the first nonconference weekend series for the Knights against a nationally-ranked opponent since May 3-5, 2013 against Florida State.
UCF-Ole Miss Game Notes
All three games from Oxford-University Stadium can be heard online on UCF All-Access with the pregame show starting 15 minutes prior to first pitch of each contest.
The Knights (6-2) arrive in Oxford riding a three-game winning streak, including a victory last Saturday over No. 29 Oklahoma during the UCF Baseball Tournament. Winners of their last two, the Rebels (8-1) will look to remain successful during their season-high, 13-game home stand.
Both teams tout strong pitching staffs as UCF has totaled a 2.70 ERA from its starting pitchers this season, while Ole Miss owns a 1.67 ERA on the year overall.
LHP Eric Skoglund (1-0, 1.93 ERA) will make his third-consecutive Friday night start as he faces off against Rebels’ RHP Chris Ellis (2-0, 0.00 ERA). Skoglund reached 20 starts for his career last week, and spun a gem against Ohio State in his last outing. The Sarasota native allowed just two runs over eight innings of work.
The Knights will send RHP Spencer Davis to the mound Saturday afternoon at 2 p.m. against southpaw Christian Trent (2-0, 1.38 ERA). The redshirt junior has been stellar in his first two outings as a starter, totaling a 2-0 record, while allowing just a .182 batting average against.
UCF’s Sunday starter is to be determined while Ole Miss will send RHP Sam Smith (1-0, 2.61 ERA) to the bump in the 1 p.m. matinee.
This weekend’s series marks the first time UCF and the Rebels have met during the regular season. In the only all-time meeting between the two squads, Ole Miss defeated the Knights, 10-4, to eliminate them from the 1995 NCAA Atlantic I Regional in Tallahassee.
Trending Topics: @UCF_Baseball
• The last (and only) time the Knights and Rebels matched up was in the 1995 NCAA Regionals #BeenAWhile
• Former #UCF associate head coach Cliff Godwin is currently the hitting coach for Ole Miss #OldFriend
• Colby Bortles, brother of former UCF quarterback Blake Bortles, is a freshman infielder for the Rebels #FamiliarName
• Juniors Eric Skoglund and Spencer Davis are a combined 3-0 with a 1.78 earned run average #PairOfAces
• 1B James Vasquez is riding a five-game hitting streak and is hitting .417 during the run. #EnFuego
• Junior pitcher Zach Rodgers has not issued a walk in 10.1 innings pitched #PoundTheZone
• OF Erik Barber leads the team with 9 RBIs in 8 starts. He had 5 RBIs in 17 starts a season ago #ComingIntoHisOwn
• #UCF checked in at No. 30 in the second attendance report of the year, totaling 9,136 fans so far this year #HelloTop30
To purchase season or single-game tickets, visit our Baseball Ticket Central page, or call the UCFAA Sales & Service Office at (407) UCF-1000. Stay up-to-date on all the latest baseball news by visiting UCFKnights.com and by following the team on Twitter @UCF_Baseball, Facebook and Instagram.