March 25, 2014
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
The Last Meeting
March 4, 2014
Daytona Beach, Fla.
Miscues Doom Baseball in Daytona
The UCF baseball team was unable to earn its 74th victory in the all-time series with Bethune-Cookman on Tuesday night from Jackie Robinson Ballpark as the Wildcats won, 5-2. The Knights (6-6) will look to bounce back Wednesday when they return home to take on Michigan at 6:30 p.m.
+ Box Score
By Andrew Jennette
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – Riding a four-game winning streak, the UCF baseball team will continue its seven-game homestand on Wednesday at the baseball complex when it battles in-state rival Bethune-Cookman. Wednesday night's matchup with the Wildcats will serve as the second "Dollar Dog Knight" of 2014. Fans in attendance can enjoy $1 hot dogs all game long.
UCF-Bethune Game Notes
To purchase individual game tickets for Wednesday’s showdown click here: http://www.ticketmaster.com/artist/1208324?brand=ucf. All the action can be seen and heard on UCF All-Access. Bryan Levine will be on the call with pregame beginning at 6:15 p.m.
The Wildcats come into the contest with a 13-12 record after dropping two-of-three at home to Central Connecticut State last weekend. BC-U did win this season’s previous matchup, 5-2, against UCF on March 4.
On the mound for the Knights (13-12, 3-0 The American) will be sophomore RHP Tyler Martin (0-2, 1.04 ERA). The Jacksonville native will make his second midweek start and eighth appearance overall. He will be opposed by freshman LHP Riley O’Brien who has yet to record a decision in seven relief appearances.
In the series sweep last weekend over Cincinnati, junior Sam Tolleson was named the American Athletic Conference Hitter of the Week after hitting .571 (8-for-14) on the week by recording hits in all four UCF victories, including two three-hit games to raise his batting average 67 points to a .344 clip, which ranks sixth in the league. The junior slugged 1.000 for the week, striking three doubles and a home run, scoring six runs along and driving in a pair.
Tolleson (two) joined teammate Tommy Williams (six) as the only Knights to hit multiple home runs this season.
Trending Topics: @UCF_Baseball
• This is the 90th all-time meeting between UCF and Bethune-Cookman in baseball #OldRivals
• Wednesday’s contest also marks the second “Dollar Dog Knight” of 2014 as fan can enjoy $1 hot dogs all evening #NomNomNom
• UCF is riding a season-high, four-game winning streak and has won six of its last seven games #StartingToComeTogether
• Eric Skoglund was named The American Pitcher of the Week for the 2nd-straight week after tossing a two-hitter against Cincy #FridayAce
• DH Sam Tolleson hit .571 last week was named “Beast of the Week” and American Hitter of the Week for his efforts #SteppingUp
• SS Tommy Williams currently leads The American with six home runs #PowerSurge
• After sweeping Cincinnati last weekend, UCF also swept the weekly league awards for the first time since 2004 #Brooms
• RHP Jarrod Petree has rebounded from Tommy John and has spun six-consecutive scoreless outings #DontCallItAComeback
• OF Erik Barber leads the team with 24 RBIs after recording just 9 RBIs the first two years of his career #ComingIntoHisOwn
• Freshman Trent Thompson leads the team with 13 appearances and two saves #ClosingTime
Stay up-to-date on all the latest baseball news by following the team on Twitter @UCF_Baseball, Facebook and Instagram.