May 1, 2014
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
The Last Meeting
April 28, 2013
By Dan Forcella
+ Game Notes
+ Gametracker (Friday | Saturday | Sunday)
HOUSTON, Texas (UCFKnights.com) – The first place UCF Baseball team is set to take on Houston in a three-game American Athletic Conference series this weekend. The no. 18 Knights and the no. 13 Cougars will open up on Friday at 7:30 p.m. ET at UH’s Cougar Field.
The two teams will square off again at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday and then conclude the series on Sunday at 2 p.m. All three tilts can be heard live across the Central Florida area on AM 740 The Game with Marc Daniels on the call. The pre-game show starts 15 minutes prior to each contest.
Ranked in three national polls, UCF (28-16, 15-3 The American) comes into this weekend two-and-a-half games ahead of second place Louisville in the league standings. Houston (33-12, 8-7 The American), meanwhile, will be looking to move up the ranks as the Cougars currently sit in fourth in the conference.
The Knights have won seven consecutive weekend series and have earned victories in each of their conference series this season. UCF has also won 21 out of its last 26 games on the year and is 8-1 in its last nine outings.
The Cougars have won their last two conference series and recently picked up a pair of victories over McNeese State to improve to 33-12 on the season. Three of Houston’s seven league losses came when the Cougars were swept by Louisville at home in early April.
Houston holds a 20-14 advantage over UCF in the all-time series between the two teams, but the Knights have had come out on top as of late. The Black and Gold have swept the Cougars each of the last two seasons, winning the last six contests overall.
UCF will send ace lefty Eric Skoglund (7-1, 1.81 ERA) to the bump for Friday night to take on Houston’s right-hander Aaron Garza (6-3, 2.01 ERA). On Saturday it will be a matchup of right-handers as UCF’s Ryan Meyer (3-1, 1.82 ERA) is slated to face Houston’s Jake Lemoine (5-4, 1.92 ERA). Neither team has announced a starter for Sunday’s finale.
Trending Topics @UCF_Baseball
• This is the 35th all-time meeting between UCF & Houston as the Cougars hold a 20-14 advantage #CloseTheGap
• The Knights swept Houston each of the last two seasons, winning the last six outing against the Cougars #BroomSticks
• UCF sits on top of The American standings at 15-3 in league play, which is 2.5 games ahead of second place #KingofTheCastle
• The Knights moved up to 18th in the Collegiate Baseball Newspaper poll, while also appearing at 23 and 30 in Baseball America and NCBWA polls #ClimbTheCharts
• UCF has won seven-consecutive weekend series and is 21-5 in its last 26 games #StartingToComeTogetherPepper
• The Knights are one of just four BCS teams in the nation to win every conference series this season #TakingCareOfBusiness
• Eric Skoglund leads The American with 70 strikeouts and has earned Pitcher of the Week honors four times this season #AceOfSpades
• Skoglund picked up his third complete game of the season last Friday, the first Knight to throw three CGs in a season since 2005 #HeCanGoTheDistance
• This weekend is a trip home for Sam Tolleson, who hails from Houston. Parker Thomas is from Richmond - 30 miles outside Houston #ImGoingHome