Oct. 4, 2006
Box Score |
HUNTINGTON, W.Va. -
UCF 23, Marshall 22
Oct. 4, 2006
* Senior center Cedric Gagne-Marcoux did not start a game for the first time since the 2003 season finale against Miami-Ohio. Marcoux had started 37 consecutive games for the Golden Knights.
* Junior WR Javid James had a pair of 21-yard receptions in the first quarter, surpassing his previous career-high catch of 19 yards.
* Sophomore RB Kevin Smith had a season-long 34-yard scamper in the third quarter. Smith had a long rush of 12 yards in each of his three previous games this season.
* Smith's 100-yard rushing effort is the seventh of his career, moving him into a tie for fifth on the school's Top 10 list. Smith finished the night with 26 carries for 166 yards in three quarters of action.
* Junior QB Kyle Israel saw his first action since the second game of the season against Florida. His two-yard rushing touchdown was the second of his career.
* Senior RB Jason Peters had a 48-yard run on the Golden Knights' first scoring drive. The rush was the longest play from scrimmage for UCF this season.
* Junior LB Steven Baker made his first appearance of the season after missing the opening four contests with a knee injury.
* Junior PK Michael Torres equaled his season-long field goal made with a pair of 22-yarders in the second quarter to give him his first multiple field-goal game of his UCF career. His game-winning kick with six seconds remaining was also from 22 yards. Torres, who transferred from UMass, made a 22-yarder against USF (Sept. 16) for his only other field goal of the season.
* Sophomore CB Joe Burnett
picked off his first pass of the season in the second quarter after ranking second in Conference USA with five interceptions as a freshman in 2005. His six career interceptions rank ninth all-time on the UCF charts.
* Sophomore WR Rocky Ross hauled in a career-high 27-yard reception in the second quarter that led to a Golden Knights' field goal. Ross finished with 3 catches for a career-high 37 yards.
* The Golden Knights' 156 rushing yards in the first half was more than the previous season-high for rushing yards in a game (140 against USF on Sept. 16). Smith had 85 yards on 17 carries and Peters added 66 yards on six attempts in the opening half.
* UCF ran for a season-high 275 yards and also had a season-high 488 yards of total offense. Smith (166) and Peters (108) both finished with more than 100 yards rushing, marking the first time two backs broke into triple figures since the year's Tulane contest on Oct. 21.
* Senior WR Mike Walker caught a 28-yard touchdown pass in the third quarter for his third score of the season and first since his two-touchdown effort in the opener vs. Villanova.