June 28, 2013
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Andy Seeley
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - Finish.
It was the marketing theme for UCF Athletics in 2012-13 and the Knights' men's golf team certainly took it to heart.
The Knights, ranked No. 26 in the final Golfstat rankings of the season, rounded out their 12-13 season and their time in Conference USA in strong fashion. UCF made its second consecutive trip to the NCAA Championship and once again made some noise at the final event of the season. The Knights also took runner-up honors at the NCAA Tempe Regional and were third at the Conference USA Championship.
The following is a look back at many of the highlights from an extremely successful 2012-13 UCF Men's Golf season:
- UCF advanced to its sixth NCAA Championship tournament in school history. It was also the second consecutive berth in the championship round for the Knights. UCF was one of just 30 teams to advance to the NCAA Championship, held at the Capital City Club Crabapple Course just outside Atlanta. The Knights were in contention for a spot in the match-play round for much of the tournament, finishing tied for 16th.
- The Knights tied for runner-up honors at the NCAA Tempe Regional, played at Arizona State's Karsten Golf Course. That placement propelled the Knights into the NCAA Championship event.
- UCF took third place at the Conference USA Championship, taking a top-three placement in each of its last five years in C-USA.
- UCF three-peated at the Adams Cup in Newport, R.I. back in the fall. The Knights led wire-to-wire to take their third consecutive trophy in the event. UCF's score of 866 was one stroke better than Yale in the two-day, three-round event.
- The Knights picked up their second team victory of the season at the Stetson/Central Florida Sports Commission Invitational in Deland, Fla. to wrap up the fall portion of their season. UCF shot a team score of 870 to top the field.
- UCF recorded its third victory of the 2012-13 season at the FAU Spring Break Championship in Lake Worth, Fla. in late March. The Knights carded a tally of 866 to win the event by seven strokes.
- PING First-Team All-America
- Conference USA Player of the Year
- PING First-Team All-Southeast Region
- First-Team All-Conference USA
- Won UCF's first-ever individual NCAA Regional title
- Tied for eighth at NCAA Championship
- Four-time C-USA Player of the Week
- Invited to play in the prestigious Palmer Cup
- Earned All-Nicklaus Team honors
- Took first-place honors in three events, including NCAA Tempe Regional
- Finished in the top 20 in all 13 events during 2012-13
- Finished season ranked No. 17 by Golfstat
- Shot par or better in 22 of 37 rounds (59.5 percent)
- Scoring average of 70.97
- Two-time C-USA Golfer of the Week
- Medalist honors at Stetson/CFSC Invitational
- Six top-five finishes during 2012-13
- Took runner-up honors at NCAA Tempe Regional
- Shot par or better in 17 of 35 total rounds
- Scoring average of 72.91
- Finished sixth individually at the Conference USA Championships
- Played in all 13 events for UCF in 2012-13
- Recorded 12 rounds of par or better
- Scoring average of 74.3
- Finished sixth at the Adams Cup
- Three top-10 finishes during 2012-13
- Played in all 13 events for the Knights
- Recorded seven rounds of par or better
- Scoring average of 74.4
- Took part in seven tournaments
- Season-best round of 71 at the SunTrust Gator Invitational
- Scoring average of 76.3
- Took part in six tournaments
- Two top-20 finishes
- Season-best round of 72 three times, including at the NCAA Championship
- Scoring average of 76.6