UCF Rallies for Thrilling Victory Over Memphis



Oct. 24, 2012

Final Stats

Twitter Logo Facebook Logo UCF Athletics Social Media Directory

By Doug Richards

Box Score in PDF Format Get Acrobat Reader

ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - In a thrilling contest Wednesday at the UCF Soccer Complex, the UCF men's soccer team overcame a two-goal deficit late in the second-half to post an incredible 4-3 double-overtime win over Memphis. Deshorn Brown recorded a hat trick in the second half for the Knights, who claimed the victory in the 100th minute when Omar Vallejo netted the game-winning goal.

UCF (6-5-3, 3-2-0 Conference USA) fell behind 3-1 with 20 minutes to play, but refused to quit. Brown, who did not play in the first half, scored on a header in the 82nd minute off a Vallejo free kick. Just over two minutes later, he tied the match with his 11th goal of the year when he corralled a loose ball in the box and beat Memphis (5-6-3, 1-2-2) keeper Conor Hurley.

After neither team had any good looks in the first overtime, Vallejo controlled a rebound off a shot by Brown at the start of the second extra session and fired the ball past Hurley to give the Knights the win.

"Our guys never gave up," UCF head coach Bryan Cunningham said. "That was a great effort and I am so happy for them. We didn't hang our heads after going down two goals and we were so persistent and kept on fighting."

Brown nearly put UCF ahead with just over a minute left in regulation when he sprinted past three Tiger defenders, but his shot from 30 yards out went wide. His first goal, in the 56th minute, came on a breakaway after he secured a nifty feed from Matthew Gaskins.

Memphis quickly responded with a score from Jordan Johnson in the 57th minute and then added goals from Liam Collins (67th) and Mark Sherrod (79th).

The Knights were playing at home for the first time since their 1-0 victory over No. 17 SMU on Oct. 14.

UCF's best look in the first half, when it had five shots compared to only one for the Tigers, came late in the period when Steven Lamberta found Malcolm Reed in the box with the great cross. Reed's shot went just high of the goalkeeper as neither team was able to score in the first 45 minutes.

UCF finished with a 13-11 shot advantage. Sebastian Evers recorded three saves, including a nice stop on a Sherrod shot in the first extra session, in the win.

UCF will play its home regular-season finale Saturday at 7 p.m. against UAB. Prior to the match at the UCF Soccer Complex, the Knights will honor their seven seniors, who will be playing at home for the final time.



Fox 35 Reliable One