Oct. 17, 2013
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Jennifer Clark
+ Live Stats
+ Watch Live
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) - UCF men's soccer is gearing up for its final road match of the regular season as the team heads to Dallas on Saturday, where the Knights will take on American Athletic Conference rival SMU at 8 p.m.
UCF and SMU last met in 2012, when the Knights defeated the Mustangs, 1-0, at home. UCF is 3-1-1 in its last five matches versus SMU, including a three-all tie in double overtime in 2009.
A LOOK AT THE KNIGHTS
- UCF is currently 5-4-3 overall and 2-1-1 in conference play.
- The men's soccer team is playing some of its best soccer at the right time, as the Knights are currently riding a four-match unbeaten streak.
- The Knights are 1-2-1 in road play, defeating Cincinnati, 2-1, and tying No. 24 UCONN, 2-2, in double overtime.
- Midfielder Omar Vallejo led UCF's 5-1 victory over Georgia State with two first period goals.
- Vallejo scored just 5:59 into the contest with a header off a cross into the box from Romario Williams, and struck again in the 33rd minute to provide a 3-0 cushion at the half.
- Williams remains UCF's offensive leader with seven goals this season.
- The sophomore leads The American in goals (7), goals per game (.583 avg./g), and game-winning goals (5).
- Goalkeeper Sebastian Evers is second among the league in saves (24) and third in goals against average (.652).
- Overall, UCF remains third in The American standings following just behind UCONN and No. 1-holding Louisville.
SCOUTING THE MUSTANGS
- The Mustangs are 3-8-1 this season and 2-1-1 in The American.
- Overall, SMU sits in eighth place among The American.
- SMU last took the field on October 12, when the Mustangs defeated Cincinnati, 3-1.
- The team is 1-3-1 in its last five matches.
- Eleven Mustangs have played in each of SMU's 12 games this season, including leading scorers Alfred Koroma and Leobardo Vazquez, who have three goals apiece.
- With two game-winning goals, Koroma is currently seventh in the conference.
- Vazquez is the Mustangs' leader in shot percentage with a .231 mark.
- SMU's Deshawon Nembhard is 10th in assists (3) and assists per game (.231), and closely matches Knights' midfielder Fernando Laverde, who has three assists, but a slightly higher per game average (.250).
- Mustang keeper Jaime Ibarra has 43 saves on the season.
- The Knights travel to Tampa to face longtime rival South Florida for a midweek match on Wednesday, October 23.
- Men's soccer will return home for its final two regular season games