Jan. 23, 2011
Read John Denton's Knights Insider |
Follow us on Twitter |
Get social with the Knights on Facebook
By Doug Richards
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - The UCF men's tennis team opened its spring campaign with a victory Sunday as the Knights defeated Georgia State, 4-3, at the UCF Tennis Complex. On a cold afternoon, the Knights took the doubles point and then claimed three of six singles contests.
Junior Joe Delinks (Falmouth, Mass.) clinched the win for the Knights (1-0) when he topped Georgia State's (0-1) Vincent Verpeaux, 6-3, 7-6 (6) at No. 5.
UCF was also victorious at No. 2, where junior Claudio Romano (Valencia, Venezuela) defeated Gabe Townes, 6-4, 6-1. At No. 3, freshman Erik Brunskog (Linkoping, Sweden) also picked up a win for the hosts. He got past Breon Badger, 6-3, 6-4.
Delinks and senior Blaze Schwartz (Pensacola, Fla.) handled Townes and Verpeaux, 8-3, at No. 1 doubles. At the No. 3 spot, Romano and Brunskog were 8-4 winners over Juan Gutierrez and Thomas Cook.
"We competed very well in doubles and know what we need to work on in order to be even more consistent and intimidating when we play," UCF head coach Bobby Cashman said. "In singles we had to fight out some matches, but our guys rose to the occasion and competed well. You never know what to expect in your first match of the season, and we are proud of the way our guys competed and know we have to work even harder this week to prepare for Jacksonville on Saturday."
The match was the first of 12 home contests this spring for the Knights.
The Knights will return to action next Saturday at Jacksonville.
UCF 4, Georgia State 3
1. Victor Valente (GSU) def. Blaze Schwartz (UCF) 6-3; 6-3
2. Claudio Romano (UCF) def. Gabe Townes (GSU) 6-4; 6-1
3. Erik Brunskog (UCF) def. Breon Badger (GSU) 6-3; 6-4
4. Juan Gutierrez (GSU) def. Leonel Vivas (UCF) 6-3; 6-3
5. Joe Delinks (UCF) def. Vincent Verpeaux (GSU) 6-3; 7-6 (6)
6. Lucas Santana (GSU) def. Mario Samson (UCF) 6-3; 6-1
1. Blaze Schwartz/Joe DeLinks (UCF) def. Gabe Townes/Vincent Verpeaux (GSU) 8-3
2. Breon Badger/Victor Valente (GSU) def. Eugene Dolgovykh/Matthew Zachary (UCF) 8-6
3. Claudio Romano/Erik Brunskog (UCF) def. Juan Gutierrez/Thomas Cook (GSU) 8-4