Feb. 1, 2014
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Andy Seeley
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – The UCF men’s tennis team defeated Georgia Southern 7-0 at the UCF Tennis Complex Saturday afternoon.
The Knights (2-0) cruised over the Eagles, losing just one set in singles play and easily taking the doubles point in just two matches.
UCF’s No. 1 doubles team of Amar Hromic and Jesse Flores dispatched of Kyle Hoffman and Rafael Racy by a score of 6-1. The No. 2 doubles match was won 6-2 by the Knights’ Francesc Aulina and Matthew Gladstone over Albert Codina Sala and Marco Osorio. Those two quick wins gave the Knights a 1-0 lead in the match.
In singles play, the only set UCF dropped was the first at No. 1 singles. Gladstone fell to Oliver Webb in the first set, 6-2. But Gladstone roared back to win the second set 6-2 and tok the third set 6-5. At No. 2 singles, Amar Hromic was victorious over Codina Sala in straight sets, while Aulina also picked up a straight-set win at No. 3.
UCF’s No. 4 singles player Chris Barrus picked up his 10th singles victory of the year with a 6-4, 6-4 win over Hoffman for Georgia Southern. Inaki Espinola won in two sets at No. 5 singles, while Flores took his No. 6 singles match in two sets, as well.
Below is a look at the complete results of Saturday’s dual match:
No. 65 UCF 7, Georgia Southern 0 – Feb. 1, 2014 – UCF Tennis Complex
Doubles (UCF takes doubles point)
1. Amar Hromic/Jesse Flores (UCF) def. Kyle Hoffman/Rafael Racy (GS) 6-1
2. Matthew Gladstone/Francesc Aulina (UCF) def. Albert Codina Sala/Oliver Webb (GS) 6-2
3. Inaki Espindola/Chris Barrus (UCF) vs. Oliver Webb/Christian Kerrigan (GS) DNF
1. Matthew Gladstone (UCF) def. Oliver Webb (GS) 2-6, 6-2, 6-5
2. Amar Hromic (UCF) def. Albert Codina Sala (GS) 6-4, 6-2
3. Francesc Aulina (UCF) def. Marco Osorio (GS) 6-3, 6-2
4. Chris Barrus (UCF) def. Kyle Hoffman (GS) 6-5, 6-4
5. Inaki Espindola (UCF) def. Christian Kerrigan (GS) 6-3, 6-2
6. Jesse Flroes (UCF) def. Rafael Racy (GS) 6-4, 6-4