Feb. 21, 2010
MIAMI, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com)- The UCF men's tennis team nearly upset No. 31 Miami Sunday, but fell 4-3 at Ashe-Buchholz Tennis Center at Moore Park in Miami. This was the second match of the weekend for the Knights, after they defeated Florida Atlantic 4-3 on Friday.
The Knights (3-2) lost the point in doubles but gave the ranked team a fight in singles after winning three matches.
Senior Brock Sakey (Gulf Breeze, Fla.) and sophomore Claudio Romano (Valencia, Venzuela) pulled off the only doubles win for UCF with an 8-5 victory at the No. 3 spot against Ignacio Taboada and Carl Sundberg.
The deciding doubles match occurred at No. 2, and Miami's Keith Crowley and Hector Nieto held on to beat senior Johan Beigart (Vaxjo, Sweden) and sophomore Joe Delinks (Falmouth, Mass.), 9-7.
Coming off a doubles win, Sakey gave the Knights their first point of the day in a 6-4, 6-1 victory over Waylon Chin at the No. 4 spot, while Romano helped the Knights to their final point of the day with a 4-6, 7-6(3), 6-2 defeat over Keith Crowley at No. 3.
In addition, junior Blaze Schwartz (Pensacola, Fla.) defeated David Simon 6-1, 4-6, 6-3 at No. 6.
"We did an outstanding job fighting today in singles but it came down to the doubles," head coach Bobby Cashman said. "We beat ourselves today with our mistakes in doubles and that decided the match."
With the win, the Hurricanes improve to 4-2 on the season.
The Knights will continue play on Friday in Jacksonville where they will face North Florida at 2 p.m. This will be the final match of the four-match tour around Florida for the Knights.
For the latest news on the Knights, log on to UCFAthletics.com - the official site for UCF varsity sports. The site, which also contains ticket and Golden Knights Club donor information, is also the home of UCF's new online apparel store. Also visit UCFPhotos.com, the exclusive fan source for UCF action sports pictures.
Miami 4, UCF 3
1. Christian Blocker/David Simon (UM) def. Marc Rocafort/Blaze Schwartz (UCF) 8-4
2. Keith Crowley/Hector Nieto (UM) def. Joe Delinks/Johan Beigart (UCF) 9-7
3. Brock Sakey/Claudio Romano (UCF) def. Ignacio Taboada/Carl Sundberg (UM) 8-5
Order of finish 1,3,2
1. Carl Sundberg (UM) def. Marc Rocafort (UCF) 7-5, 7-5
2. Christian Blocker (UM) def. Nino Hasandedic (UCF) 6-2, 6-2
3. Claudio Romano (UCF) def. Keith Crowley (UM) 4-6, 7-6(3), 6-2
4. Brock Sakey (UCF) def. Waylon Chin (UM) 6-4, 6-1
5. Ignacio Taboada (UM) def. Johan Beigart (UCF) 6-7(4),6-4, 6-3
6. Blaze Schwartz (UCF) def. David Simon (UM) 6-1, 4-6, 6-3
Order of finish for singles 2,4,6,1,5,3