Feb. 26, 2011
Read John Denton's Knights Insider |
Follow us on Twitter |
Get social with the Knights on Facebook
By Doug Richards
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - The UCF men's tennis team dropped a heartbreaker Saturday as the Knights fell 4-3 to Florida Atlantic at the UCF Tennis Complex. The Owls took the doubles point to start the day, and then won three of six singles tilts.
Florida Atlantic (5-4) clinched the victory at No. 3 singles, where Oliver Webb held on for a 4-6, 6-4, 7-6 (9) win over freshman Leonel Vivas (Caracas, Venezuela).
The contest was the second of three matches in four days for the Knights (4-5).
"Like all season, the doubles point has been crucial for us," UCF head coach Bobby Cashman said. "We let this one slip away and it cost us in the end. Anytime a match comes down to a third-set tiebreaker, you know the match was competitive. We played hard all the way though, but came up just a little short."
The Knights did pick up singles victories at three positions. At No. 2, senior Blaze Schwartz (Pensacola, Fla.) got past Daniel Vardag, 6-3, 4-6, 6-1. Facing Derek Madon at No. 4, junior Joe Delinks (Falmouth, Mass.) was a 6-3, 6-2 winner. Freshman Mitch Thams (Queensland, Australia) was also victorious. He defeated Omar El Kheshen at No. 6 (6-0, 6-4).
UCF will return to the courts Sunday to host Florida Gulf Coast at 10 a.m. Admission is free at the UCF Tennis Complex.
FAU 4, UCF 3
1. Marc Abdelnour (FAU) def. Erik Brunskog (UCF) 7-5, 6-2
2. Blaze Schwartz (UCF) def. Daniel Vardag (FAU) 6-3, 4-6, 6-1
3. Oliver Webb (FAU) def. Leonel Vivas (UCF) 4-6, 6-4, 7-6
4. Joe Delinks (UCF) def. Derek Madon (FAU) 6-3, 6-2
5. Marc Wakim (FAU) def. Matthew Gladstone (UCF) 7-6, 6-3
6. Mitch Thams (UCF) def. Omar El Kheshen (FAU) 6-0, 6-4
1. Marc Abdelnour/Ervin Garibovic (FAU) def. Blaze Schwartz/Joe Delinks (UCF) 8-4
2. Omar El Kheshen/Marc Wakim (FAU) def. Matthew Zachary/Eugene Dolgovykh (UCF) 9-7
3. Erik Brunskog/Mitch Thams (UCF) def. Daniel Vardag/Oliver Webb (FAU) 8-3