March 1, 2014
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Andy Seeley
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – The UCF men’s tennis team turned in a gritty, 4-3 victory over Georgia State at the UCF Tennis Complex Saturday afternoon.
With the match tied 3-3, it came down to a pair of freshmen battling it out at No. 5 singles. UCF’s Inaki Espindola dropped the first set 7-6 in a tie-breaker. After winning the second set, Espindola got out to a 4-2 lead in the third. Georgia State’s Eric Baum came back to even the score at 4-4 after breaking serve. Espindola broke back to take a 5-4 lead and then held serve to clinch the match for the Knights.
It was the third 4-3 victory of the season for the Knights, who moved to 6-1 in dual action this season.
UCF took the doubles point behind victories from the teams of Matthew Gladstone/Francesc Aulina and Chris Barrus/Espindola. Georgia State took a 2-1 lead with victories at No. 6 and No. 2 singles. Aulina knotted it up at 2-2 with a win at No. 3 singles. Barrus fell in a tough three-setter at No. 4 singles, setting up Espindola’s match-clinching victory.
The Knights are back in action again at 10 a.m. Sunday, hosting Winthrop.
UCF 4, Georgia State 3
Doubles (UCF wins doubles point)
- Amar Hromic/Jesse Flores (UCF) did not finish vs. Sofiane Chevallier/Robert Schulze (GS) 7-7
- Matthew Gladstone/Francesc Aulina (UCF) def. Eric Baum/Valentin Horvat (GS) 8-5
- Chris Barrus/Inaki Espindola (UCF) def. Thomas Cooke/Jannis Koeke (GS) 8-7 (3)
- Matthew Gladstone (UCF) def. Thomas Cooke (GS) 4-6, 6-3, 6-2
- Jannis Koeke (GS) def. Amar Hromic (UCF) 6-2, 6-3
- Francesc Aulina (UCF) def. Robert Schulze (GS) 6-4, 6-4
- Sofiane Chevallier (GS) def. Chris Barrus (UCF) 6-7, 7-6, 6-4
- Inaki Espindola (UCF) def. Eric Baum (GS) 6-7 (4), 6-4, 6-4
- Felipe Jaworski (GS) def. Jesse Flores (UCF) 6-3, 6-1