March 13, 2011
Read John Denton's Knights Insider |
Follow us on Twitter |
Get social with the Knights on Facebook
By Doug Richards
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - The UCF men's tennis team came up short Sunday against No. 71 Iowa as the Hawkeyes posted a 5-2 victory at the UCF Tennis Complex. UCF was facing a nationally-ranked squad for the sixth time this season.
Iowa (5-4) opened the match by taking the doubles point. The Hawkeyes then won four of six singles contests to claim the victory over the Knights, who fell to 6-8.
UCF registered singles wins at No. 5 and No. 6. Facing Mitch Beckert at No. 6, sophomore Mario Samson (Miami, Fla.) eased to a 6-0, 6-1 victory. At No. 5, freshman Mitch Thams (Queensland, Australia) defeated Garret Dunn (7-6, 6-0).
UCF also battled hard at the top spot, where senior Blaze Schwartz (Pensacola, Fla.) fell 6-2, 2-6, 6-1 to Marc Bruche.
In doubles, Schwartz joined junior Joe Delinks (Falmouth, Mass.) at No. 2 for an 8-2 triumph over Austen Kauss and Jonas Dierckx.
The Knights will return to action on Tuesday, hosting No. 37 Tulsa at 2 p.m. Admission is free at the UCF Tennis Complex.
#71 Iowa 5, UCF 2
1. Marc Bruche (IOWA) def. Blaze Schwartz (UCF) 6-2, 2-6, 6-1
2. Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Claudio Romano (UCF) 6-3, 6-2
3. Nikita Zotov (IOWA) def. Erik Brunskog (UCF) 6-4, 7-5
4. Austen Kauss (IOWA) def. Leonel Vivas (UCF) 6-4, 4-6, 6-4
5. Mitch Thams (UCF) def. Garret Dunn (IOWA) 7-6, 6-0
6. Mario Samson (UCF) def. Mitch Beckert (IOWA) 6-0, 6-1
1. #71 Marc Bruche/Will Vasos (IOWA) def. Eugene Dolgovykh/Matthew Zachary (UCF) 8-2
2. Joe Delinks/Blaze Schwartz (UCF) def. Austen Kauss/Jonas Dierckx (IOWA) 8-2
3. Garret Dunn/Nikita Zotov (IOWA) def. Mitch Thams/Erik Brunskog (UCF) 8-5