March 14, 2014
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Andy Seeley
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – The No. 62-ranked UCF men’s tennis team rebounded from a tough Thursday loss to Penn State with a 5-2 victory over UNC-Greensboro Friday afternoon at the UCF Tennis Complex.
The Knights’ No. 2 doubles team of Matthew Gladstone and Francesc Aulina whitewashed their opponents 8-0. Inaki Espindola and Reece Acree, playing at the No. 3 doubles spot, clinched the doubles point with an 8-2 victory. Amar Hromic and Jesse Flores teamed up at No. 1 doubles, to sweep the doubles action for the Knights.
Hromic put UCF up 2-0 with a straight-set victory at No. 2 Singles. Chris Barrus put the Knights up 3-0 with a 6-2, 6-2 victory at No. 4 Singles. Espindola then clinched UCF’s ninth dual match victory of the season at No. 5 Singles, when he easily dispatched his Spartan opponent, 6-4, 6-0. UNCG picked up a couple tallies when Matthew Gladstone defaulted due to injury at No. 1 singles and when Nazhone Wilkins defeated Jose Sangroniz at No. 6 Singles.
UCF is now 9-3 in dual action this season. The Knights are back in action again in a tournament at UNC-Wilmington, beginning next Friday.
Doubles (UCF Takes Doubles Point)
1. Amar Hromic/Jesse Flores (UCF) def. James Dougherty/Randy Phillips (UNCG) 8-7
2. Matthew Gladstone/Francesc Aulina (UCF) def. Gaston Murray/Cameron Smith (UNCG) 8-0
3. Inaki Espindola/Reece Acree (UCF) def. Daniel Mack/Nazhone Wilkins (UNCG) 8-2
1. James Dougherty (UNCG) def. Matthew Gladstone (UCF) 1-6, 6-2, 1-2, injury default
2. Amar Hromic (UCF) def. Randy Phillips (UNCG) 6-3, 6-4
3. Francesc Aulina (UCF) def. Gaston Murray (UNCG) 6-4, 6-4
4. Chris Barrus (UCF) def. Daniel Mack (UNCG) 6-2, 6-2
5. Inaki Espindola (UCF) def. Cameron Smith (UNCG) 6-4, 6-0
6. Nazhone Wilkins (UNCG) def. Jose Sangroniz (UCF) 7-5, 4-6, 6-2
Order of Finish: Doubles – 2, 3, 1; Singles 2, 4, 5, 3, 1, 6