March 16, 2012
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By David Buchman
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - The UCF men's tennis team fell 7-0 to No.18 Auburn (13-4) at the UCF Tennis Complex on Friday. In the loss, the Knights claimed one win in doubles but were unable to take a point from the Tigers.
UCF sophomore Erik Brunskog (Linkoping, Sweeden) and junior Juan Bolona (Miami, Fla.) defeated the Tigers' Don Cochrane and Lukas Ollert, 8-7, in the Knights' lone win of the afternoon.
"Once again our doubles played well," head coach Bobby Cashman said. "We mixed the pairs up today and even though we fell short and couldn't take the point, we competed well."
In singles, sophomore Matthew Gladstone (Surfside, Fla.) suffered a 6-3, 4-6, 8-10 defeat at the No.6 spot in a hard fought battle to Michael Wardell.
"I'm proud of the way Matthew battled today in both doubles and singles," Cashman noted. "He showed great stamina and mental toughness in the way he battled fatigue all the while staying composed on the court."
The Knights (5-9) return to action Saturday to face Winthrop for their third match in three days at the UCF Tennis Complex. The event is set for 2 p.m. and admission is free.
#18 Auburn 7, UCF 0
1. Andreas Mies (AUB) def. Jorge Blasco (UCF) 7-5, 6-0
2. Alex Stamchev (AUB) def. Erik Brunskog (UCF) 6-2, 6-2
3. Daniel Cochrane (AUB) def. Mitch Thams (UCF) 6-1, 6-0
4. Lukas Ollert (AUB) def. Mario Samson (UCF) 6-3, 6-0
5. Lucas Lopasso (AUB) def. Juan Bolona (UCF) 6-4, 6-0
6. Michael Wardell (AUB) def. Matthew Gladstone (UCF) 6-3, 4-6, 10-8
1. Alex Stamchev/Andreas Mies (AUB) def. Joe Delinks/Mitch Thams (UCF) 8-1
2. Juan Bolona/Erik Brunskog (UCF) def. Lukas Ollert/Daniel Cochrane (AUB) 8-7
3. Lucas Lopasso/Rafael Rondino (AUB) def. Mario Samson/Matthew Gladstone (UCF) 8-3