March 24, 2012
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Doug Richards
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - Playing for the first time in a week, the UCF men's tennis team knocked off Nicholls State, 6-1, Saturday evening at the UCF Tennis Complex. The victory was the second in a row for the Knights, who improved to 7-9 with the win.
After UCF took the doubles point to start the match, the contest was delayed for an hour and a half due to rain. The Knights swept doubles play and then took five of six singles points against Nicholls State (6-7).
"We got off to a good start sweeping the doubles and winning two tight matches to clinch the doubles point," UCF head coach Bobby Cashman said. "Overall, everyone competed hard today. Nicholls State has beaten some good teams so it was a good feeling for our guys to see a lot of success against them. We are starting to come together at the right time."
At the No. 1 doubles spot, UCF's Jorge Blasco blew past Damjan Despotovski, winning 6-1, 6-3. He was one of five Knights to post quick singles victories. Juan Bolona handled Palah Tiwari, 6-1, 6-3, at No. 4. Facing Shayann Vaezzadeh at No. 3, Mitch Thams posted a 6-4, 7-6 win.
Mario Samson was leading Roy Knight at No. 5 before Knight was forced to retire, giving Samson the win and Joe Delinks topped Sidharth Sivakumar at No. 6 (7-6, 6-2).
The contest concluded an eight-match homestand for the Knights.
In doubles, Delinks and Thams were victorious at the top spot. The pair handled Sivakumar and Tiwari, 8-3.
UCF will return to action Thursday, heading across the state to face rival USF. First serve in Tampa is 2 p.m.
UCF 6, Nicholls 1
1. Jorge Blasco (UCF) def. Damjan Despotovski (NICH) 6-1, 6-3
2. Dmitry Kozionov (NICH) def. Erik Brunskog (UCF) 6-4, 6-3
3. Mitch Thams (UCF) def. Shayann Vaezzadeh (NICH) 6-4, 7-6
4. Juan Bolona (UCF) def. Palash Tiwari (NICH) 6-1, 6-3
5. Mario Samson (UCF) def. Roy Knight (NICH) 7-6, 1-0, retired
6. Joe Delinks (UCF) def. Sidharth Sivakumar (NICH) 7-6, 6-2
1. Joe Delinks/Mitch Thams (UCF) def. Sidharth Sivakumar/Palash Tiwari (NICH) 8-3
2. Erik Brunskog/Juan Bolona (UCF) def. Dmitry Kozionov/Shayann Vaezzadeh (NICH) 8-7
3. Matthew Gladstone/Mario Samson (UCF) def. Damjan Despotovski/Roy Knight (NICH) 9-7