April 4, 2014
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Dan Forcella
Results (pdf) | Results (html) | Photo Gallery
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) – The UCF men’s tennis team finished up its home schedule with a hard fought 4-3 victory over visiting Troy on Friday afternoon at the UCF Tennis Complex.
The no. 57-ranked Knights went down early as the Trojans picked up the first point of the match with a pair of victories in doubles play. Troy struck first with an 8-2 win at number one doubles. UCF countered quickly as senior Matthew Gladstone – playing in his final home match as a Knight – and Francesc Aulina won 8-2 at number two doubles.
Troy’s Gabriel Sciacca Dias and Daniel Bustamante eventually earned their squad the first point of the match when they topped UCF’s Inaki Espindola and Chris Barrus by a score of 8-6 at number three doubles.
It was freshman Reece Acree who got things going for the Knights in singles play, winning 6-1, 6-2 at the number six position to tie things up at 1-1. After Troy took the advantage at 2-1 with a win at number one, UCF tied it again. Sophomore Jose Sangroniz won 7-6 (1), 6-1 at number five to make it 2-2.
Aulina then gave the Knights their first advantage with a 6-2, 6-3 victory at number two singles to put UCF up 3-2. It marked the junior’s team-leading 13th singles win of the season.
Troy’s three-set win at number four put everything on number three singles. Espindola won set one against the Trojans’ Bustamante, but then fell 5-7 in set two. The UCF freshman came back to win the third and final set 6-3 and give the Knights the 4-3 win.
UCF improves to 12-6 on the season with the win, while Troy falls to 7-15. The Knights will continue regular season action next weekend, playing at Memphis and Middle Tennessee on April 11 and 13, respectively.
1. Gabriel Sciacca Dias (TROY) def. Matthew Gladstone (UCF) 6-2, 6-2
2. Francesc Aulina (UCF) def. Sami Ghorbel (TROY) 6-2, 6-3
3. Inaki Espindola (UCF) def. Daniel Bustamante (TROY) 6-3, 5-7, 6-3
4. Pablo Moreno (TROY) def. Chris Barrus (UCF) 3-6, 7-5, 6-2
5. Jose Sangroniz (UCF) def. Tommy Cundy (TROY) 7-6 (7-1), 6-1
6. Reece Acree (UCF) def. Mansingh Athare (TROY) 6-1, 6-2
1. Pablo Moreno/Sami Ghorbel (TROY) def. Jesse Flores/Amar Hromic (UCF) 8-2
2. Francesc Aulina/Matthew Gladstone (UCF) def. Tommy Cundy/Mansingh Athare (TROY) 8-2
3. Gabriel Sciacca Dias/Daniel Bustamante (TROY) def. Inaki Espindola/Chris Barrus (UCF) 8-6
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2,3); Singles (6,1,5,2,4,3)