April 13, 2014
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Dan Forcella
Results (pdf) | Results (html)
MURFREESBORO, Tenn. (UCFKnights.com) – The no. 60-ranked UCF men’s tennis team concluded the 2014 regular season with a 4-3 setback at Middle Tennessee on Sunday in Murfreesboro.
The Blue Raiders got out to a good start at home by winning the top two doubles matches to earn the first point of the day. MTSU won 8-7 at number one and 8-5 at number two. UCF’s freshman pair of Inaki Espindola and Chris Barrus were up 6-4 at number three doubles before it went unfinished.
The Knights quickly tied things up when Middle Tennessee forfeited the number six singles match. The two teams continued to match each other’s victories until it was 3-3 with one contest remaining.
MTSU won at number one singles, while Espindola won 6-0, 6-1 at number four to tie things at 2-2. UCF took its first lead at 3-2 when junior Francesc Aulina won 6-1, 6-3 at the number three position, but the Blue Raiders evened it again with a victory at number five.
After dropping his first set 6-2 at number two singles, Amar Hromic won set two 6-2 to force a third set. Unfortunately for the Knights, MTSU’s Victor Hoang came back to win 6-4 in the third to hand UCF a 4-3 defeat.
The Knights finish the regular season 12-8 and will now begin preparing for next weekend’s American Athletic Conference Championships in Memphis.
1. Ettore Zito (MT) def. Matthew Gladstone (UCF) 6-1, 6-1
2. Victor Hoang (MT) def. Amar Hromic (UCF) 6-2, 2-6, 6-4
3. Francesc Aulina (UCF) def. Aaron Jumonville (MT) 6-1, 6-3
4. Inaki Espindola (UCF) def. Sam Matheson (MT) 6-0, 6-1
5. Yannick Born (MT) def. Chris Barrus (UCF) 6-3, 7-6 (7-4)
6. Jose Sangroniz (UCF) def. No player (MT), by default
1. Yannick Born/Aaron Jumonville (MT) def. Amar Hromic/Jesse Flores (UCF) 8-7 (7-3)
2. Victor Hoang/Ettore Zito (MT) def. Matthew Gladstone/Francesc Aulina (UCF) 8-5
3. Victor Cornea/Sam Matheson (MT) vs. Inaki Espindola/Chris Barrus (UCF) 4-6, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (6,1,4,3,5,2)