April 22, 2011
Read John Denton's Knights Insider |
Follow us on Twitter |
Get social with the Knights on Facebook
By Doug Richards
TULSA, Okla. (UCFAthletics.com) - The UCF men's tennis team fell 4-1 Friday morning to Memphis in the Conference USA Championship quarterfinals at the Case Tennis Center. The fifth-seeded Tigers improved to 16-9 with the win, and will face Tulsa or East Carolina in the semifinals Saturday.
The Knights, seeded fourth at the tournament, conclude the year at 9-15 overall.
The Tigers took the doubles point to open the match, and then won three singles matches. Leon Nasemann clinched the win for Memphis at No. 3. He defeated UCF senior Blaze Schwartz (Pensacola, Fla.), 6-2, 7-5.
Junior Claudio Romano (Valencia, Venezuela) picked up the victory for the Knights. Facing Joe Salisbury at the No. 2 spot, Romano was a 7-5, 6-4 winner. At No. 1, the Tigers' David O'Hare defeated freshman Erik Brunskog (Linkoping, Sweden), 7-6, 6-2.
Memphis 4, UCF 1
1. David O'Hare (MEM) def. Erik Brunskog (UCF) 7-6 (7-2), 6-2
2. Claudio Romano (UCF) def. Joe Salisbury (MEM) 7-5, 6-4
3. Leon Nasemann (MEM) def. Blaze Schwartz (UCF) 6-2, 7-5
4. Joe Delinks (UCF) vs. Johnny Grimal (MEM) 2-6, 6-3, unfinished
5. David Henry (MEM) def. Mitch Thams (UCF) 6-3, 6-3
6. Mario Samson (UCF) vs. John Taylor (MEM) 6-4, 5-7, 2-1, unfinished
1. Blaze Schwartz/Joe Delinks (UCF) vs. Jordan Smith/David Henry (MEM) 6-5, unfinished
2. Joe Salisbury/David O'Hare (MEM) def. Matthew Zachary/Eugene Dolgovykh (UCF) 8-2
3. Leon Nasemann/John Taylor (MEM) def. Mitch Thams/Claudio Romano (UCF) 8-4