Oct. 27, 2008
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - The UCF women's basketball team is working furiously to get set for the 2008-09 season. As the season opener at Colorado approaches on Nov. 16, each of the 14 players on the Knights' roster this season will be introduced to the fans each weekday on UCFAthletics.com. The series will run from Oct. 22 until Nov. 7.
One of three freshmen to join the Knights this season, Racine Davis brings size and athleticism to head coach Joi Williams' roster. The Tamarac, Fla. native chose to come to UCF over Arkansas, USF, FIU and UNC Wilmington.
"The team's chemistry was great when I came to visit, and coach [Greg] Brown, the post coach, was cool and I thought I could learn a lot from him," said Davis of her decision. "The coaches had a great plan for the future and their drive was incredible, and it was nice to stay close to my family."
Now having started practices in her first collegiate season, Davis is adjusting to the tempo and size differences from high school and says she just wants to contribute to the team this season.
"The size is so different," said Davis. "Post players in high school are 5-8 or 5-9. In college they are all my size, all big and strong."
An all-county player, Davis averaged 15 points and 12 rebounds per game as a senior at Plantation High School. She says she takes pride in her defense, and even had a triple-double that included 10 blocks as a sophomore.
"My goal is to be a contributing part of the team," said Davis. "I have tried to become more aggressive. Tracy Prosser, our strength coach, and our post coach have been helpful working on that. I think my biggest strength is my defense. I take a lot of pride in blocking shots."
Davis and UCF are currently practicing in preparation for the beginning of the regular season. After opening at Colorado, the Knights will play their home opener on Friday, Nov. 21, hosting Florida A&M at 7 p.m. at the new UCF Arena.
Season tickets for the UCF women's basketball program are currently on sale through the UCF ticket sales office. For more information about the arena's premium seating options, including club seats, group discounts, courtside tables and suites, contact the UCF ticket sales office at (407) UCF-1000 or visit the women's basketball ticket page at UCFAthletics.cstv.com/tickets/w-baskbl-tickets.html.
For the latest news on the Knights, log on to UCFAthletics.com - the official site for UCF varsity sports. The site, which also contains ticket and Golden Knights Club donor information, is also the home of UCF's new online apparel store. Also visit UCFPhotos.com, the exclusive fan source for UCF action sports pictures.
Knight Life with Racine Davis
- The best thing about being a Knight are...the traditions
- I am most looking forward to...traveling
- My first memory of playing basketball is...having a triple-double with 10 blocks my sophomore year
- The best word to describe Coach Williams is...driven
- When I am finished playing basketball I plan to...coach
- My favorite sport to play besides basketball is...track and field
- My favorite sports to watch besides basketball is...basketball
- My favorite TV show is...Family Guy
- My favorite book is...The Odyssey
- My favorite movie is...The Notebook
- The advice I would give to a youngster is...to never give up
- My dream car is...2009 Honda Accord
- My favorite sports team is...the L.A. Sparks
- The person I most admire is...my mom because she is a hard worker