Nov. 6, 2008
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - The UCF women's basketball team is working furiously to get set for the 2008-09 season. As the season opener at Colorado approaches on Nov. 16, each of the 14 players on the Knights' roster this season will be introduced to the fans each weekday on UCFAthletics.com. The series will run from Oct. 22 until Nov. 7.
After getting an opportunity to get a real taste of collegiate basketball as a freshman, sophomore Jasmine Stovall is excited about the upcoming season, and she looks for big things from the Knights.
"I think we will do really well this season," said Stovall. "We have a tough non-conference schedule that will get us ready for conference. I am not only expecting us to do well, but I am expecting us to win a lot of our games."
As one of the eight returning sophomores that gained significant experience as part of a group of freshmen that led the nation playing 91 percent of the team's minutes, Stovall believes that opportunity will prove valuable this season.
"It will help because I was able to get a lot of practice time and we had so many freshmen with equal opportunity to play, and that will all help this season," said Stovall.
In 2007-08, Stovall played in 19 of the Knights' games, averaging 1.7 points and 1.2 rebounds per game. On Dec. 31, 2007, Stovall had season highs in both points and rebounds with 12 and seven respectively against Stetson.
"Jasmine is an athlete with potential on both ends of the floor," said head coach Joi Williams. "She brings a tremendous energy level to our program on and off the court."
Fans will get their first chance to see UCF women's basketball team in action this Saturday, Nov. 8, at 11 a.m., when the Knights host DT3 for an exhibition game prior to the UCF-Southern Miss Homecoming football game. Admission to the women's basketball exhibition is free.
After Stovall and the Knights open the regular season at Colorado on Nov. 16, the home opener takes place on Friday, Nov. 21, against Florida A&M at 7 p.m. at UCF Arena.
Season tickets for the UCF women's basketball program are currently on sale through the UCF ticket sales office. For more information about the arena's premium seating options, including club seats, group discounts, courtside tables and suites, contact the UCF ticket sales office at (407) UCF-1000 or visit the women's basketball ticket page at UCFAthletics.cstv.com/tickets/w-baskbl-tickets.html.
For the latest news on the Knights, log on to UCFAthletics.com - the official site for UCF varsity sports. The site, which also contains ticket and Golden Knights Club donor information, is also the home of UCF's new online apparel store. Also visit UCFPhotos.com, the exclusive fan source for UCF action sports pictures.
Knight Life with Jasmine Stovall
- The best thing about being a Knight is...our schedule
- I am most looking forward to...winning the C-USA Championship
- My first memory of playing basketball is...the summer of seventh grade
- The best word to describe Coach Williams is...unique
- My favorite sport to play besides basketball is...ultimate frisbee
- My favorite sport to watch besides basketball is...tennis
- My favorite TV show is...The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
- My favorite movie is...Something New
- The advice I would give to a youngster is...with time and hard work, impossible is nothing
- My favorite cartoon characters are...SpongeBob SquarePants and The Simpsons
- My favorite dream car is...an Orange Hummer H2
- My favorite thing to do during free time is...hanging with my sisters and shopping
- The person I most admire is...my mother
- If I could have dinner with anyone in the world, it would be...Michelle Obama
- The one superhero ability I would like to have is...to fly