Feb. 7, 2014
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Jenna Marina
The UCF women's soccer team is pleased to announce its 2014 recruiting class - a talented group of five student-athletes from the States, Sweden and France. The group will join the reigning American Athletic Conference regular season and tournament champions as the Knights look to continue their legacy as one of the top programs in the country.
Head Coach Tiffany Roberts Sahaydak: "We are very excited to announce this year's incoming recruiting class. Over this past year it has been a pleasure getting to know these young women. It has become clear that we are adding some pretty extraordinary people who share in our vision and will strengthen our culture here at UCF. On the field, we've added some additional talent defensively as well as some fire power in the attack. I certainly believe we hit all of our targets with this recruiting class, and I couldn't be more proud to introduce our newest members of the Knights soccer family."
|2014 Signing Class|
|Player||Position||Class||Hometown (High School/Previous School)||Club Team|
|Bridget Callahan ||M/D||Fr.||Hollywood, Fla. (Chaminade-Madonna Prep) ||Weston FC|
|Hannah DeBose||F||Fr.||Indialantic, Fla. (Melbourne HS)||Florida Kraze Krush |
|Rebecca Gartner||GK||Fr.||Danbury, Conn. (Danbury HS)|| SoccerPlus Elite|
|Saga Fredriksson* ||D||Fr.||Malmo, Sweden (ProCivitas Privata Gymnasium) ||LdB FC Malmo|
|Nora Kervroedan* ||M||Jr.||Maurepas, France (Lycée Louis Bascan HS/Florida State) || Paris Saint Germain F.C.|
*Already enrolled in 2014 spring semester.
Midfielder/Defender||5-5||Hollywood, Fla. (Chaminade-Madonna Prep) ||Weston FC |
- Led Chaminade-Madonna to back-to-back district championships in 2012 and 2013, including the first in school history
- 2009-12 ODP
- Three-time Miami Herald All-County First Team selection
- Two-time Sun Sentinel Team MVP
- Tallied 28 goals and 17 assists her junior year of high school
- Team co-captain of her club team, Weston FC
- 2011 Florida State Cup Champion
- Suited up as a libero for the district champion and regional finalist volleyball team
Coach Pablo Gentile (Weston FC): "Bridget's skill and technique make her stand out among her peers, and she plays with great confidence and composure. What makes Bridget special is her will to win and her drive to be the best. She loves the big stage and competing against the best. I knew I could always count on Bridget to step up in big games under pressure. I look forward to seeing Bridget compete and develop under the leadership and guidance of Tiffany and Tim at UCF."
Bridget Callahan on why she chose UCF: "The program, coaching staff, and facilities are among the best in the country. I love the coaching staff, the school is beautiful and it's close to home, so it gives my family the opportunity to come watch me play. They are a possessive team which I love and compete in one of the toughest conferences. UCF was the total package from an academically strong school to a championship caliber soccer program."
- Born April 16, 1996
- Daughter of Mike and Meg Callahan and sister of Michael and Daniel
- Served as the junior class' secretary and was a member of the Interact club
- Her mother Meg played field hockey at Saint Joseph's and her brother Michael is a senior on Saint Leo's baseball team
Forward ||5-6||Indialantic, Fla. (Melbourne) ||Florida Kraze Krush |
- Two-time state champion with Melbourne soccer team (2012, 2013)
- 2011 ODP National Camp
- Space Coast State Champion (2011-12)
- Recorded 14 goals and 12 assists as a junior
- Two-time All-Space Coast selection
- Named all-region, all-state and NSCAA All-American as a sophomore
Hue Menzies (Director of Coaching, Florida Kraze Krush): "Hannah was a pleasant addition to our organization. She is very coachable and has a huge upside in development. We are looking forward to see her growth with the UCF coaching staff. I do believe she will duplicate her talents with the Knights program."
Hannah DeBose on why she chose UCF: "I have wanted to play at UCF because Central Florida is my home and family is very important to me. I am excited to continue my soccer career under the world-class leadership of the UCF women's soccer program as I continue my academic and personal growth right here at home for a top-quality, nationally ranked team."
- Born July. 23, 1996
- Daughter of T. Russell and Sherri DeBose
Goalkeeper||5-8||Danbury, Conn. (Danbury) ||SoccerPlus Elite |
- Two-time All-State honoree
- Four-time All-FCIAC selection, including two first team distinctions
- Recorded 12 shutouts in 16 games played as a senior
- Also an All-FCIAC shooting guard for the Danbury basketball team
- Sank a buzzer-beating, game-winning shot to lead her AAU team to the finals of the 2012 USA Invitational Tournament
Goalkeeper coach Shawn Kelley: "Rebecca is an exceptional athlete who is able to make even the most difficult saves look easy. She has the drive to constantly improve and the presence in goal to make a difference at the next level."
Rebecca Gartner on why she chose UCF: "I chose UCF because of its strong soccer program, welcoming coaching staff and beautiful campus. During my college search, my goal was to find a university that would put me in a competitive soccer environment while improving me as an athlete and individual. After visiting UCF, I knew it was a perfect fit for me."
- Born Jan. 5, 1996
- Daughter of Will and Cheryl Gartner
- Her twin sister Rachel is committed (basketball) to Boston College
Defender||5-3||Malmo, Sweden (ProCivitas Privata Gymnasium) ||LdB FC Malmo |
- Three-time Swedish national champion with LdB FC Malmo
- A member of the 2010 Swedish U-17 national team for the UEFA European Championship
- Played in Sweden's UEFA Women's Champions League 2012 quarterfinal matchup against Frankfurt
Saga Fredriksson on why she chose UCF: "When I was picking a college, I had two important criteria: I wanted high-level soccer and a good education. The weather was just a huge bonus."
- Born March. 10, 1994
- Daughter of Peter and Vicky Fredriksson
- Intends to study journalism at UCF
Midfielder||5-8|| Maurepas, France (Lycée Louis Bascan HS/Florida State)
- Scored five goals and three assists in 37 career games at Florida State
- Netted game-winning goals against Oregon State and Auburn in 2013
- Scored in the first round of the 2013 NCAA Tournament against South Alabama
- Assisted the game-winner in the 76th minute of FSU's 1-0 victory over Oklahoma in 2013
- Tallied the game-winning goal against Cal State Fullerton in 2012
- Appeared in two of FSU's 2012 NCAA Tournament games, playing against Mississippi Valley State and Texas A&M
- Named to the ACC's Academic Honor Roll in 2012-13
- Member of the U-19 French National Team in 2011 and 2012, playing in five friendlies
- Played against Romania and Iceland in qualification action of the European Championships with U-19s
- Made six appearances combined on the U-16 and U-17 French National Teams in 2009
- Winner of the U-15 national cup with Paris of the IIe de France League in 2009
- Member of Clairefontaine (2009-12) - the national training center that specializes in training French soccer players
- Daughter of Jean-Claude Kervroedan and Rowena Trimmel
- Her sister Lola is a professional contemporary dancer