Feb. 5, 2014
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Brian Ormiston
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) - The seven-match homestand kicked off with a bang as the UCF women's tennis team defeated Bethune-Cookman, 5-2, Wednesday at the UCF Tennis Complex.
The Knights jumped their record to 2-1 on the year while the Wildcats fell to 1-2.
Bethune-Cookman would take an early 1-0 lead by earning two doubles wins for the overall doubles point. At No. 2, though, the UCF tandem of Courtney Griffith and Clare Mendell topped Elizabeth Nyenwe and Maria Dimitrova, 6-2.
The visitors' lead was short lived thanks to five straight-set victories in singles play for the Knights. Caroline Eberhart delivered a 6-2, 6-2 triumph at No. 2 against Maria Sablina, and also in the top half of the lineup Sofia Baptista defeated Chinatsu Kajiwara at No. 3, 6-4, 6-4.
The No. 4-6 positions for the Black and Gold combined to surrender just eight games. Cortney Cesarini cruised by Gaby Chinchilla at No. 4, 6-0, 6-1, while over at No. 5, Mendell flew past Nyenwe, 6-0, 6-2. Also grabbing a victory was Annika Hepp at No. 6, who took down Dimitrova, 6-2, 6-3.
UCF will have a week until its next match as it will host North Florida Feb. 12 at 2 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Bethune-Cookman vs UCF
Feb 05, 2014 at Orlando, Fla.
UCF 5, Bethune-Cookman 2
1. MATSUBA,Mina (BCUW) def. Courtney Griffith (UCF) 6-4, 6-3
2. Caroline Eberhart (UCF) def. SABLINA,Maria (BCUW) 6-2, 6-2
3. Sofia Baptista (UCF) def. KAJIWARA,Chinatsu (BCUW) 6-4, 6-4
4. Cortney Cesarini (UCF) def. CHINCHILLA,Gaby (BCUW) 6-0, 6-1
5. Clare Mendell (UCF) def. NYENWE,Elizabeth (BCUW) 6-0, 6-2
6. Annika Hepp (UCF) def. DIMITROVA,Maria (BCUW) 6-2, 6-3
1. SABLINA,Maria/MATSUBA,Mina (BCUW) def. Sofia Baptista/Cortney Cesarini (UCF) 6-4
2. Courtney Griffith/Clare Mendell (UCF) def. NYENWE,Elizabeth/DIMITROVA,Maria (BCUW) 6-2
3. KAJIWARA,Chinatsu/CHINCHILLA,Gaby (BCUW) def. Caroline Eberhart/Annika Hepp (UCF) 6-2