Feb. 9, 2013
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Brian Ormiston
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - A 2-0 deficit did not faze the UCF women's tennis team Saturday as it came back to topple Furman, 5-2, at the UCF Tennis Complex. The Knights boosted their record to 5-1, giving them their best start since 2009-10 when they opened at 7-1.
Not only did the Black and Gold trail 2-0, Genevieve Lorbergs, Josephine Haraldson and Caroline Eberhart all lost their first sets in singles but rebounded to notch wins.
Furman kick-started the afternoon by taking the doubles point for the overall 1-0 advantage. UCF did pick up a win at the No. 1 position when Lorbergs and Haraldson got past Lauren Kline and Alex Moreno-Kaste, 8-3, revenging an 8-7 loss to the Paladins' duo in January's UCF Invitational.
For Lorbergs and Haraldson, it was their seventh-straight doubles victory. They are now 13-5 in 2012-13, and 6-0 at the No. 1 doubles spot.
Furman stretched its lead to 2-0 with a win at No. 6 singles, however the Knights charged forward. At No. 2, Jenna Doerfler made quick work of her win over Katherine Oudin, sending a forehand smash crosscourt from the service line for the winner and a 6-4, 6-2 result. Haraldson and Sofia Baptista then posted key victories at No. 3 and No. 5, respectively, to give UCF its first lead.
Looking for one more win, UCF got it from a freshman. On match point in the third at No. 4, Eberhart and Amanda Murray had a long rally before Murray sailed a forehand long. That gave Eberhart a 3-6, 6-1, 6-4 triumph, and the Knights the team win.
Lorbergs would seal the deal at No. 1 with her second win in less than a month over No. 68 Lauren Kline. Serving at 5-2 in the third, Lorbergs went with the serve-and-volley game plan and it worked as she delivered a winner on match point for a 5-7, 7-6, 6-2 win.
"I was really feeling it today," Doerfler said. "We knew this was going to be very good competition. After doubles we were really pumped. I was fired up the entire time, and played really well and aggressively. As a team everyone is cheering and the energy is always high. We are feeling good as a team."
UCF gets back on the road for its next two matches, and will battle No. 29 Florida State Friday, Feb. 15, at 3 p.m., as well as No. 62 Georgia State Saturday, Feb. 16, at noon. Both contests take place in Tallahassee.
Tennis Match Results
Furman vs UCF
Feb 09, 2013 at Orlando, Fla.
UCF 5, Furman 2
1. Genevieve Lorbergs (UCF) def. #68 Lauren Kline (FUR) 5-7, 7-6, 6-2
2. Jenna Doerfler (UCF) def. Katherine Oudin (FUR) 6-4, 6-2
3. Josephine Haraldson (UCF) def. Alex Moreno-Kaste (FUR) 2-6, 6-3, 6-2
4. Caroline Eberhart (UCF) def. Amanda Murray (FUR) 3-6, 6-1, 6-4
5. Sofia Baptista (UCF) def. Kelly Sullivan (FUR) 7-5, 7-5
6. Margaret Boyette (FUR) def. Clare Mendell (UCF) 6-1, 6-2
1. Genevieve Lorbergs/Josephine Haraldson (UCF) def. Lauren Kline/Alex Moreno-Kaste (FUR) 8-3
2. Michele Stanford/Amanda Murray (FUR) def. Courtney Griffith/Caroline Eberhart (UCF) 8-7
3. Margaret Boyette/Kelly Sullivan (FUR) def. Jenna Doerfler/Sofia Baptista (UCF) 8-6