Feb. 12, 2014
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Brian Ormiston
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) - UCF was unable to pick up another victory Wednesday as the women's tennis team suffered a 4-3 loss to North Florida at the UCF Tennis Complex.
The Knights fell to 2-2 on the year, and the Ospreys improved to 2-0.
UCF got off to an overall 1-0 start with a pair of solid doubles victories. At the top spot, Courtney Griffith and Josephine Haraldson recorded an 8-5 triumph against Simona Weymar and Rebeca Pereira, and at No. 3, Clare Mendell and Caroline Eberhart came through by way of an 8-6 victory against Quetzali Vazquez and Michelle Valdez.
The Knights picked up their second and third points in singles when Mendell topped Vazquez at No. 6, 6-4, 6-2, and Eberhart cruised past Pereira at No. 3, 6-3, 6-2. It would all come down to No. 5 as UCF and UNF were locked in a 3-3 tie. Cortney Cesarini trailed Valdez after falling in the first set, 6-1, and saved match points in the second set trailing 5-4. They ultimately would reach a tiebreaker where Valdez pulled out a 7-6(5) second-set decision.
The Black and Gold's seven-match homestand continues Friday with a 2 p.m. contest against Georgia Southern.
Tennis Match Results
North Florida vs UCF
Feb 12, 2014 at Orlando, Fla.
North Florida 4, UCF 3
1. Simona Weymar (UNF) def. Josephine Haraldson (UCF) 6-4, 6-3
2. Marina Cunningham (UNF) def. Courtney Griffith (UCF) 6-0, 6-1
3. Caroline Eberhart (UCF) def. Rebeca Pereira (UNF) 6-3, 6-2
4. Taylor Hollander (UNF) def. Sofia Baptista (UCF) 6-4, 6-1
5. Michelle Valdez (UNF) def. Cortney Cesarini (UCF) 6-1, 7-6 (7-5)
6. Clare Mendell (UCF) def. Quetzali Vazquez (UNF) 6-4, 6-2
1. Courtney Griffith/Josephine Haraldson (UCF) def. Simona Weymar/Rebeca Pereira (UNF) 8-5
2. Cortney Cesarini/Sofia Baptista (UCF) vs. Taylor Hollander/Marina Cunningham (UNF) 6-5, unfinished
3. Clare Mendell/Caroline Eberhart (UCF) def. Quetzali Vazquez/Michelle Valdez (UNF) 8-6
North Florida 2-0