Feb. 14, 2014
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Brian Ormiston
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) - The UCF women's tennis team erased an early 1-0 deficit in a 5-2 victory over Georgia Southern Friday at the UCF Tennis Complex.
With the win, the Knights extended their record to 3-2 while the Eagles fell to 3-2.
UCF's top doubles pair of Josephine Haraldson and Courtney Griffith was dominant in their match at No. 1, flying past Daria Vasekina and Mary Phillips Smith, 8-0. The Eagles would tie it up in doubles with their win at No. 3, 8-4, and then grab the first overall point with an 8-6 victory at No. 2.
The Knights notched their first team point of the day behind freshman Cortney Cesarini and a stellar 6-1, 6-1 outing over Stephanie Woods. Haraldson secured UCF's second point at No. 1, defeating Paola Garrido 6-2, 6-4. At No. 3, Sofia Baptista bounced back after dropping the first set and eventually closed the match 1-6, 6-1, 6-0. With a 7-6 (4), 6-2 performance against Giula Riepe, sophomore Clare Mendell locked up the victory for the Knights and put the team up 4-2.
Even with the match decided, freshman Annika Hepp held off two match points at 5-4 in the second set to defeat Smith 5-7, 7-6 (4), 1-0 (10-7).
"I knew I just had to believe in myself. I did it before against her (in the ITA regionals in the fall) and I wanted to do it again and come back into the match," Hepp said. "After Wednesday's loss it was great as a team to come back and fight together to get the win."
The Black and Gold return to action in the first conference play of the season against rival USF this Wednesday at 2 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Georgia Southern vs UCF
Feb 14, 2014 at Orlando, Fla.
UCF 5, Georgia Southern 2
1. Josephine Haraldson (UCF) def. Paola Garrido (GSU) 6-2, 6-4
2. Jordana Klein (GSU) def. Courtney Griffith (UCF) 6-2, 7-6 (9-7)
3. Sofia Baptista (UCF) def. Daria Vasekina (GSU) 1-6, 6-1, 6-0
4. Cortney Cesarini (UCF) def. Stephanie Woods (GSU) 6-1, 6-1
5. Clare Mendell (UCF) def. Giulia Riepe (GSU) 7-6 (7-4), 6-2
6. Annika Hepp (UCF) def. Mary Phillips Smith (GSU) 5-7, 7-6 (7-4), 1-0 (10-7)
1. Courtney Griffith/Josephine Haraldson (UCF) def. Daria Vasekina/Mary Phillips Smith (GSU) 8-0
2. Giulia Riepe/Paola Garrido (GSU) def. Sofia Baptista/Cortney Cesarini (UCF) 8-6
3. Stephanie Woods/Jordana Klein (GSU) def. Clare Mendell/Annika Hepp (UCF) 8-4
Georgia Southern 3-2
Order of finish: Doubles (1,3,2); Singles (4,1,3,5,2,6)