Feb. 15, 2013
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Brian Ormiston
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - Opening 2013 on a roll by winning five of its first six matches, UCF's women's tennis team went up against another team on fire Friday but came up on the losing end in a 7-0 defeat at No. 27 Florida State. The Knights dropped to 5-2 on the year, and the Seminoles improved to 5-1.
Florida State jumped out to the 1-0 lead by sweeping the doubles point. Genevieve Lorbergs and Josephine Haraldson remained at 6-0 in dual-match play as their match at No. 1 doubles was not completed.
The Seminoles used their momentum into singles action, claiming all six matches in straight sets. FSU featured a lineup that included three players ranked in the top 100 in the nation.
The Black and Gold stays in Tallahassee to face No. 61 Georgia State Saturday at noon.
Tennis Match Results
UCF vs Florida State
Feb 15, 2013 at Tallahassee, Fla.
#27 Florida State 7, UCF 0
1. #35 Daneika Borthwick (FSU) def. Genevieve Lorbergs (UCF) 6-1, 6-3
2. #95 Mia Vriens (FSU) def. Jenna Doerfler (UCF) 6-0, 6-1
3. #91 Francesca Segarelli (FSU) def. Josephine Haraldson (UCF) 6-0, 6-4
4. Amy Sargeant (FSU) def. Caroline Eberhart (UCF) 6-2, 6-3
5. Kerrie Cartwright (FSU) def. Sofia Baptista (UCF) 6-0, 6-4
6. Kristina Schleich (FSU) def. Clare Mendell (UCF) 6-0, 6-0
1. Daneika Borthwick/Kerrie Cartwright (FSU) vs. Genevieve Lorbergs/Josephine Haraldson (UCF) 7-4, unfinished
2. Amy Sargeant/Mia Vriens (FSU) def. Courtney Griffith/Caroline Eberhart (UCF) 8-2
3. Francesca Segarelli/Kristina Schleich (FSU) def. Jenna Doerfler/Sofia Baptista (UCF) 8-2
Florida State 5-1; National ranking #27