Feb. 18, 2012
Read John Denton's Knights Insider |
Follow us on Twitter |
Get social with the Knights on Facebook
By Brian Ormiston
FT. MYERS, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - Competing in its last road contest until April 7, the UCF women's tennis team delivered a 6-1 victory at Florida Gulf Coast Saturday. With the win, the Knights improved their record to 3-5 on the year, while the Eagles dropped to 1-2.
With decisive victories at the No. 1 and No. 3 doubles positions, UCF grabbed the doubles point and a 1-0 lead against FGCU. Picking up a shutout, Genevieve Lorbergs and Alexis Rodriguez captured an 8-0 triumph over Morgan Bechtel and Marina Diez at No. 1. And at No. 3, Andrea Yacaman and Taylor Dubins posted an 8-4 win against Sarah Means and Bettina Botha.
With the early advantage, UCF earned four straight-set wins in singles to capture the overall match. Dubins dazzled at No. 3 thanks to a 6-0, 6-0 win against Diez, while Yacaman posted a 6-1, 6-3 victory vs. Zhoe Solaun at No. 6. Over at No. 2, Rodriguez topped Jen Evans, 6-2, 6-3, and Courtney Griffith got past Gyanna Mandic at No. 5, 7-5, 6-1.
Handing the Black and Gold its final point of the day, Josephine Haraldson recovered after dropping the first set to defeat Bechtel at No. 4, 3-6, 6-1, 1-0(10-5).
The Knights will return home Wednesday to host South Florida at 2 p.m. to open up a nine-match homestand.
Tennis Match Results
UCF vs Florida Gulf Coast
2/18/2012 at Ft. Myers, Fla.
UCF 6, Florida Gulf Coast 1
1. Sarah Means (FGCU) def. Genevieve Lorbergs (UCF) 4-6, 6-3, 1-0 (10-6)
2. Alexis Rodriguez (UCF) def. Jen Evans (FGCU) 6-2, 6-3
3. Taylor Dubins (UCF) def. Marina Diez (FGCU) 6-0, 6-0
4. Josephine Haraldson (UCF) def. Morgan Bechtel (FGCU) 3-6, 6-1, 1-0 (10-5)
5. Courtney Griffith (UCF) def. Gyanna Mandic (FGCU) 7-5, 6-1
6. Andrea Yacaman (UCF) def. Zhoe Solaun (FGCU) 6-1, 6-3
1. Genevieve Lorbergs/Alexis Rodriguez (UCF) def. Morgan Bechtel/Marina Diez (FGCU) 8-0
2. Gyanna Mandic/Jen Evans (FGCU) def. Jenna Doerfler/Courtney Griffith (UCF) 8-6
3. Andrea Yacaman/Taylor Dubins (UCF) def. Sarah Means/Bettina Botha (FGCU) 8-4
Florida Gulf Coast 1-2