Feb. 22, 2006
JACKSONVILLE - UCF freshman Kenza Belbacha defeated Jacksonville's Megan Williams at No. 4 singles as the Golden Knights edged the host Dolphins, 4-3, in women's tennis action on Tuesday afternoon.
Rattling off two identical 8-0 victories at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles, the Golden Knights (4-4) earned the point before dropping the match at No. 1, 8-5.
Junior Megan Hunter and sophomore Jennifer Carati continued UCF's domination as they each routing their respective opponents, 6-0, 6-0, at No. 5 and No. 6 singles. Belbacha won her match over Williams, 6-2, 6-3, to give UCF the decision.
JU (1-5) took three points at the top of the lineup. Junior Emese Sulyos fought UCF senior captain Pamela Fernandez to a 7-6, 6-3 win at No. 1. Dolphins' sophomore Lena Willi dropped Golden Knight freshman Elvira Serrot, 6-2, 6-3, while her freshman teammate Nana Airapetian battled UCF sophomore Anna Yakimchenkova to a 4-6, 6-3 (10-4) victory.
"Jacksonville has a very good team, particularly at the top of the lineup," said UCF head coach Patricia Allison. "We played well and did what we had to do to win."
The Golden Knights return home on Feb. 28 when they host Eastern Michigan at 11 a.m.
1. Emese Sulyos (JU) def. Pamela Fernandez (UCF), 7-6, 6-3
2. Lena Willi (JU) def. Elvira Serrot (UCF), 6-2, 6-3
3. Nana Airapetian (JU) def. Anna Yakimchenkova (UCF), 4-6, 6-3 (10-4)
4. Kenza Belbacha (UCF) def. Megan Williams (JU), 6-2, 6-3
5. Megan Hunter (UCF) def. Elizabeth Styles (JU), 6-0, 6-0
6. Jennifer Carati (UCF) def. Katie Orr (JU), 6-0, 6-0
1. Sulyos/Airapetian def. Fernandez/Yakimchenkova (UCF), 8-5
2. Hunter/McNicol (UCF) def. Willi/Williams (JU), 8-0
3. Belbacha/Serrot (UCF) def. Styles/Zwikker (JU), 8-0