Feb. 27, 2008
ORLANDO, Fla. (www.ucfathletics.com) - Battling its fifth ranked team of the season, the UCF women's tennis team suffered a 6-1 loss to No. 43 USF Wednesday at the UCF Tennis Complex. Junior Kenza Belbacha picked up a three-set win in singles action to improve to 9-8 on the season.
UCF (4-5) fell in two of the three doubles matches as USF (8-5) took an early 1-0 lead. Senior Jennifer Carati and junior Elvira Serrot posted the victory for the Knights, defeating Jessica Zok and Allyn Mueller at No. 2, 9-8(3).
In singles play, USF collected four straight-set wins to secure the overall victory. Senior Anna Yakimchenkova battled Mueller to three sets at No. 5 but could not hang on in a 5-7, 6-3, 1-0(10-5) loss. Belbacha and Iciri Rai closed the afternoon with their match at No. 4, and after Belbacha won the first set, 7-6(2), Rai stormed back to take the second, 7-5. With the third-set super tiebreaker knotted up at 7-7, the UCF junior notched three of the next four points for the 7-6(2), 5-7, 1-0(10-8) triumph.
The Knights continue their three-match homestand when they welcome Florida Atlantic to town Saturday at 2 p.m.
For the latest news and information on the Knights, tickets or apparel log on to www.ucfathletics.com - the official site for UCF varsity sports. Also check out UCFPhotos.com, the exclusive fan source for UCF action sports pictures.
#43 USF 6, UCF 1
1. Janette Bejkova/Iciri Rai (USF) def. Jenny Frisell/Kyla McNicol (UCF) 8-1
2. Jennifer Carati/Elvira Serrot (UCF) def. Jessica Zok/Allyn Mueller (USF) 9-8 (7-3)
3. Natalia Guevara/Liz Cruz (USF) def. Kenza Belbacha/Anna Yakimchenkova (UCF) 8-5
1. #88 Janette Bejkova (USF) def. Elvira Serrot (UCF) 6-0, 6-3
2. Jessica Zok (USF) def. Jenny Frisell (UCF) 6-2, 6-4
3. Liz Cruz (USF) def. Kyla McNicol (UCF) 6-1, 6-2
4. Kenza Belbacha (UCF) def. Iciri Rai (USF) 7-6 (7-2), 5-7, 1-0 (10-8)
5. Allyn Mueller (USF) def. Anna Yakimchenkova (UCF) 5-7, 6-3, 1-0 (10-5)
6. Natalia Guevara (USF) def. Jennifer Carati (UCF) 7-6 (7-3), 6-0
USF 8-5; National ranking #43