Feb. 27, 2013
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Brian Ormiston
TAMPA, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - Facing its eighth opponent from the state of Florida this year, the UCF women's tennis team could not pick up a win in Tampa Wednesday as it fell to No. 58 South Florida, 6-1. Senior Genevieve Lorbergs put on a great show at No. 1 singles by defeating Ecaterina Vasenina, who was ranked No. 78 in the nation.
The home team produced the early 1-0 lead by taking the doubles point against UCF. In singles play, Josephine Haraldson and Sofia Baptista pushed their opponents to three sets but were unable to earn a victory.
However at the top spot, Lorbergs had the task of facing Vasenina, and the first set went all of the way to a tiebreaker where Lorbergs delivered an 8-6 win. She kept the momentum on her side of the court en route to the 7-6(6), 6-3 win. It was Lorbergs' third win over a nationally-ranked singles player this season, and she improved her dual-match record to 8-3 at the No. 1 position.
The Knights' record moved to 7-4 in 2013, and the Bulls jumped to 4-3 overall. UCF will remain on the road for its next outing when it travels to Tennessee to take on Memphis March 8 and Saint Louis in a neutral-site match March 9.
Tennis Match Results
UCF vs USF
Feb 27, 2013 at Tampa, Fla.
#58 USF 6, UCF 1
1. Genevieve Lorbergs (UCF) def. #78 Ecaterina Vasenina (USF) 7-6 (8-6), 6-3
2. L. Alonzo-Martinez (USF) def. Jenna Doerfler (UCF) 6-2, 6-1
3. Danielle Mills (USF) def. Josephine Haraldson (UCF) 6-4, 2-6, 6-2
4. Kayla Rizzolo (USF) def. Caroline Eberhart (UCF) 6-1, 6-3
5. Fanny Fracassi (USF) def. Courtney Griffith (UCF) 6-3, 6-2
6. Paula Montoya (USF) def. Sofia Baptista (UCF) 6-2, 2-6, 1-0 (10-7)
1. Kayla Rizzolo/Danielle Mills (USF) def. Josephine Haraldson/Genevieve Lorbergs (UCF) 8-6
2. L. Alonzo-Martinez/Ecaterina Vasenina (USF) def. Caroline Eberhart/Courtney Griffith (UCF) 8-2
3. Fanny Fracassi/Paula Montoya (USF) vs. Sofia Baptista/Jenna Doerfler (UCF) 8-7, unfinished
USF 4-3; National ranking #58