March 2, 2014
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Brian Ormiston
GREENVILLE, S.C. (UCFKnights.com) - The UCF women's tennis team hit the road Sunday and suffered a 4-3 defeat at the hands of Furman. The Knights fell to 3-5 on the year, while the Paladins jumped to 6-3.
UCF opened the day with doubles play where Furman came through in the No. 1 and No. 2 matches. Caroline Eberhart and Clare Mendell were up on Karlee Bryde and Kelly Sullivan at No. 3, 7-2, but the contest was halted when the Paladins secured the doubles point.
Furman then posted three straight singles wins to secure the overall victory. But the Knights picked up points in the remaining three matches. At No. 3, Eberhart topped Katherine Oudin, 6-2, 6-2, for a straight-set triumph. And Sofia Baptista (No. 4) and Cortney Cesarini (No. 5) edged their opponents in third set super tiebreakers for the final 4-3 margin.
The Black and Gold gets back to work when it visits UNC Asheville Tuesday at 1 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
UCF vs Furman
March 2, 2014 at Greenville, S.C.
Furman 4, UCF 3
1. Alex Moreno-Kaste (FUR) def. Josephine Haraldson (UCF) 6-2, 6-4
2. Ansley Speaks (FUR) def. Courtney Griffith (UCF) 6-3, 6-2
3. Caroline Eberhart (UCF) def. Katherine Oudin (FUR) 6-2, 6-2
4. Sofia Baptista (UCF) def. Karlee Bryde (FUR) 2-6, 6-4, 1-0 (11-9)
5. Cortney Cesarini (UCF) def. Kelly Sullivan (FUR) 6-1, 5-6, 1-0 (7-3)
6. Amanda Murray (FUR) def. Clare Mendell (UCF) 6-3, 6-0
1. Alex Moreno-Kaste/Katherine Oudin (FUR) def. Josephine Haraldson/Courtney Griffith (UCF) 8-3
2. Ansley Speaks/Blair Martin (FUR) def. Cortney Cesarini/Sofia Baptista (UCF) 8-4
3. Karlee Bryde/Kelly Sullivan (FUR) vs. Caroline Eberhart/Clare Mendell (UCF) 2-7, unfinished
Order of finish: Doubles (1,2); Singles (2,6,1,3,4,5)