March 9, 2012
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Brian Ormiston
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - UCF's women's tennis team suffered a 7-0 loss to No. 3 Duke Friday in Orlando. The Knights, who were facing their fourth top-10 school of the year, dropped to 4-8 on the season while the Blue Devils climbed to 11-1.
Duke may have swept the three doubles matches, however it was a solid battle at the No. 3 position. Already having won 10 matches during the 2011-12 campaign including recent victories over Tennessee and Michigan State, Andrea Yacaman and Taylor Dubins led the Blue Devils' Mary Clayton and Ester Goldfeld midway through the contest. But Clayton and Goldfeld, who entered the day ranked No. 54 in the nation, was able to come back for an 8-6 win over the UCF senior duo.
With a 1-0 overall lead in the match, Duke used a singles lineup which was highlighted by four nationally ranked players to collect six more points and the 7-0 team victory.
UCF now looks ahead to hosting Iowa March 16 at 2 p.m. as well as Harvard March 18 at 11 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Duke vs UCF
3/9/2012 at Orlando, Fla.
#3 Duke 7, UCF 0
1. #2 Beatrice Capra (DUKE) def. Genevieve Lorbergs (UCF) 6-1, 6-2
2. #108 Ester Goldfeld (DUKE) def. Alexis Rodriguez (UCF) 6-3, 6-2
3. #45 Hanna Mar (DUKE) def. Jenna Doerfler (UCF) 6-3, 6-2
4. #68 Mary Clayton (DUKE) def. Taylor Dubins (UCF) 6-2, 6-1
5. Rachel Kahan (DUKE) def. Josephine Haraldson (UCF) 6-3, 6-1
6. Annie Mulholland (DUKE) def. Allison Hodges (UCF) 6-3, 6-0
1. #21 Beatrice Capra/Rachel Kahan (DUKE) def. Alexis Rodriguez/Genevieve Lorbergs (UCF) 8-2
2. Annie Mulholland/Hanna Mar (DUKE) def. Jenna Doerfler/Courtney Griffith (UCF) 8-2
3. #54 Mary Clayton/Ester Goldfeld (DUKE) def. Taylor Dubins/Andrea Yacaman (UCF) 8-6
Duke 11-1; National ranking #3