March 13, 2013
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Brian Ormiston
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - Home for the first time since Feb. 21, the UCF women's tennis team delivered a 5-2 victory over Miami (Ohio) Wednesday at the UCF Tennis Complex. The Knights (9-5 overall) stayed undefeated at home, moving their record to 6-0 in Orlando this season.
"It's always good to win at home, that's one of our goals this year is to have a certain amount of wins on our home court," head coach Stephanie Nickitas said. "I think we are getting better and that's what you want to see in a season. With each match and each experience, we're on the rise and that's where you want to be in the middle of a season. We feel we are moving in the right direction."
UCF kick-started the day with a pair of victories in doubles action against the RedHawks (4-10). Only giving up one game, Genevieve Lorbergs and Josephine Haraldson posted an 8-1 win at the top spot against Alix Thurman and Christine Guerrazzi. Over at No. 3, Jenna Doerfler and Sofia Baptista got by Chloe Heerden and Christiana Raymond, 8-5.
The momentum carried over into singles where the Knights won the first four points to seal the team victory. Baptista earned the first point at No. 6 when she led 6-3, 1-1 until Heerden had to retire due to an injury. Next to her, Courtney Griffith had little trouble in her 6-4, 6-1 triumph at No. 5 vs. Ana Rajkovic, and Lorbergs downed Raymond at No. 1, 6-2, 6-4. Capping off the afternoon, Caroline Eberhart earned a straight-win with a 7-6, 6-1 decision against Guerrazzi at No. 4.
The Knights are back in action Saturday when they host Boston University for Youth Tennis Team Day at noon. Admission is free to all fans.
"Typically with more northern, indoor teams you see bigger hitters and they are not used to the wind and the elements," Nickitas said. "So we always try to use that to our advantage when they come down here."
Tennis Match Results
Miami (Ohio) vs UCF
Mar 13, 2013 at Orlando, Fla.
UCF 5, Miami (Ohio) 2
1. Genevieve Lorbergs (UCF) def. Christiana Raymond (MIAMI) 6-2, 6-4
2. Alix Thurman (MIAMI) def. Jenna Doerfler (UCF) 7-5, 6-4
3. Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) def. Josephine Haraldson (UCF) 6-4, 6-7, 1-0 (11-9)
4. Caroline Eberhart (UCF) def. Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) 7-6, 6-1
5. Courtney Griffith (UCF) def. Ana Rajkovic (MIAMI) 6-4, 6-1
6. Sofia Baptista (UCF) def. Chloe Heerden (MIAMI) 6-3, 1-1, retired
1. Genevieve Lorbergs/Josephine Haraldson (UCF) def. Alix Thurman/Christine Guerrazzi (MIAMI) 8-1
2. Courtney Griffith/Caroline Eberhart (UCF) vs. Ana Rajkovic/Nimisha Mohan (MIAMI) 3-6, unfinished
3. Jenna Doerfler/Sofia Baptista (UCF) def. Chloe Heerden/Christiana Raymond (MIAMI) 8-5
Miami (Ohio) 4-10