March 13, 2014
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Brian Ormiston
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFKnights.com) - A perfect March day greeted the UCF women's tennis team Thursday, but the Knights came up on the short end in a 4-3 loss to SMU at the UCF Tennis Complex.
UCF's record fell to 4-6 on the year and 0-2 in American Athletic Conference play. The Mustangs improved to 6-9 and 2-2.
The visitors got the day started by taking victories at No. 1 and No. 3 doubles for the first overall point. Sofia Baptista and Cortney Cesarini had a 6-5 lead on Holly Verner and Hristina Dishkova at No. 2 but the match was stopped since the doubles point had been determined.
The Knights picked up two quick wins in singles in their attempt for a comeback. At No. 1, Josephine Haraldson produced a 6-3, 6-2 performance against Vaszilisza Bulgakova, and Clare Mendell had little trouble at No. 6 where she posted a 6-1, 6-4 victory over Anna Kate Anderson.
Trailing 3-2, UCF witnessed as the Mustangs notched the deciding win at No. 4. But Sofia Baptista secured the final point of the day by erasing a one-set deficit in a 2-6, 6-3, 6-4 triumph over Macie Elliott at No. 5.
UCF will get back on the courts Saturday when it hosts Memphis at noon.
Tennis Match Results
SMU vs UCF
Mar 13, 2014 at Orlando, Fla.
SMU 4, UCF 3
1. Josephine Haraldson (UCF) def. Vaszilisza Bulgakova (SMU) 6-3, 6-2
2. Hristina Dishkova (SMU) def. Courtney Griffith (UCF) 6-2, 6-3
3. Dasha Sharapova (SMU) def. Caroline Eberhart (UCF) 6-3, 6-3
4. Yana Erkeeva (SMU) def. Cortney Cesarini (UCF) 6-3, 6-4
5. Sofia Baptista (UCF) def. Macie Elliott (SMU) 2-6, 6-3, 6-4
6. Clare Mendell (UCF) def. Anna Kate Anderson (SMU) 6-1, 6-4
1. Vaszilisza Bulgakova/Dasha Sharapova (SMU) def. Courtney Griffith/Josephine Haraldson (UCF) 8-3
2. Sofia Baptista/Cortney Cesarini (UCF) vs. Holly Verner/Hristina Dishkova (SMU) 6-5, unfinished
3. Yana Erkeeva/Macie Elliott (SMU) def. Clare Mendell/Caroline Eberhart (UCF) 8-4
SMU 6-9, 2-2
UCF 4-6, 0-2