March 16, 2012
UCF Athletics Social Media Directory
By Brian Ormiston
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - In a battle that came down to the final point, the UCF women's tennis team suffered a 4-3 loss to No. 73 Iowa Friday in Orlando. The Hawkeyes were the eighth nationally-ranked program the Knights had faced this season.
The loss dropped UCF's record to 4-9, while the Hawkeyes improved to 6-5.
The Knights mixed up the doubles lineup Friday as Genevieve Lorbergs and Courtney Griffith teamed up for the first time all year. And the duo looked strong, defeating Shelby Talcott and Sonja Maolnar at the No. 1 spot, 8-4. Giving UCF the 1-0 overall lead, the No. 3 pair came through again when Taylor Dubins and Andrea Yacaman got past Ally Majercik and Christina Harazin, 8-2.
With a 1-0 advantage, UCF fell behind 3-2 in singles play, picking up a quick win from Dubins at No. 4 as she cruised by Katie Zordani, 6-1, 6-3. Needing to win the final two singles contests, the Knights evened things up at No. 5. After splitting the first two sets, Josephine Haraldson was triumphant in the third when Harazin double faulted on the third match point for the 6-7, 6-0, 7-5 decision.
Attention turned to No. 3 where Jenna Doerfler recovered from a 7-5 loss in the first set to shut out Morven McCulloch, 6-0, in the second. With Doerfler serving down 6-5, McCulloch committed an unforced error to get to a tiebreaker. However the visitor opened up a 3-0 lead and did not look back for a 7-1 win in the breaker.
Weekend action continues Sunday when the Black and Gold entertain Harvard at 11 a.m.
Tennis Match Results
Iowa vs UCF
3/16/2012 at Orlando, Fla.
#73 Iowa 4, UCF 3
1. Sonja Molnar (IOWA) def. Genevieve Lorbergs (UCF) 6-0, 6-1
2. Shelby Talcott (IOWA) def. Alexis Rodriguez (UCF) 7-6 (7-5), 6-4
3. Morven McCulloch (IOWA) def. Jenna Doerfler (UCF) 7-5, 0-6, 7-6 (7-1)
4. Taylor Dubins (UCF) def. Katie Zordani (IOWA) 6-1, 6-3
5. Josephine Haraldson (UCF) def. Christina Harazin (IOWA) 6-7, 6-0, 7-5
6. Ellen Silver (IOWA) def. Allison Hodges (UCF) 7-5, 6-4
1. Courtney Griffith/Genevieve Lorbergs (UCF) def. Shelby Talcott/Sonja Molnar (IOWA) 8-4
2. Ellen Silver/Katie Zordani (IOWA) def. Jenna Doerfler/Alexis Rodriguez (UCF) 8-5
3. Andrea Yacaman/Taylor Dubins (UCF) def. Ally Majercik/Christina Harazin (IOWA) 8-2
Iowa 6-5; National ranking #73