April 16, 2005
DeLAND - No. 4 seed Florida Atlantic upset top seed UCF, 4-2, in the semifinals of the 2005 Atlantic Sun Women's Tennis Championship on Saturday morning.
The Golden Knights began the match with a convincing 8-1 victory at No. 3 doubles thanks to the duo of sophomore Megan Hunter and freshman Anna Yakimchenkova. The Owls (8-10) would emerge with the doubles point, though, after winning 8-4 at No. 1 and earning a 9-8 advantage at No. 2.
In singles competition, FAU's Alena Dvorakova beat UCF senior co-captain Kristina Lohmos, 6-4, 6-3, at the No. 1 slot, while Pia Terol picked up a 6-3, 6-2 victory over Knight Kyla McNicol at the No. 6 position.
Yakimchenkova and junior co-captain Pamela Fernandez earned points for the Golden Knights at No. 5 and No. 2, respectively.
It was Katherine Bartnik's 6-7,6-2, 6-4 win over senior Ola Luczak that clinched the match for the Owls.
The Knights, who entered the weekend ranked No. 66 by the Intercollegiate Tennis Association, finished the season with a record of 11-8.
No. 4 Florida Atlantic (8-10) vs No. 1 UCF (11-8)
Apr 16, 2005 at DeLand, Fla.
Florida Atlantic 4, UCF 2
1. Alena Dvorakova (FAU) def. Kristina Lohmos (UCF), 6-4, 6-3
2. Pamela Fernandez (UCF) def. Veronica Koksova (FAU), 6-4, 6-1
3. Katherine Bartnik (FAU) def. Ola Luczak (UCF), 6-7, 6-2, 6-4
4. Jennifer Carati (UCF) vs. Elodie Wendling (FAU), unfinished
5. Anna Yakimchenkova (UCF) def. Claudia Kecht (FAU), 6-2, 5-7, 6-4
6. Pia Terol (FAU) def. Kyla McNicol (UCF), 6-3, 6-2
1. Dvorakova/Wendling (FAU) def. Fernandez/Becky Gordon (UCF), 8-4
2. Bartnik/Koksova (FAU) def. Lohmos/McNicol (UCF), 9-8
3. Hunter/Yakimchenkova (UCF) def. Kecht/Terol (FAU), 8-1