April 18, 2008
HOUSTON, Texas (www.ucfathletics.com) - Looking for the first upset of the weekend, the No. 7 seed UCF women's tennis team could not get past No. 2 Marshall in a 4-3 Conference USA Championship quarterfinal loss Friday in Houston, Texas. The Knights finished the season with a 12-9 record, while the Thundering Herd climbed to 16-8 for 2008.
Head coach Stephanie Nickitas completed her first campaign as the leader of a Division I program by posting UCF's sixth-straight winning season. It also was the 14th time the Knights collected at least 12 victories.
Marshall, which entered the tournament ranked No. 50 in the country, escaped doubles play by taking two of three matches for the first overall point. But at the No. 2 spot, senior Jennifer Carati and junior Elvira Serrot once again picked up a win, defeating Jeanne Schwartz and Isabell Raich, 8-6. It was the duo's 12th-straight victory as they finished their season together with a 19-6 record.
When singles opened up, the Knights were able to pick up three points only to see Marshall hang on for the 4-3 win. Serrot collected her sixth-consecutive triumph by earning a 6-3, 6-2 decision over Schwartz at No. 2. Also victorious in straight sets, junior Kenza Belbacha edged Raich at No. 4, 7-6, 6-4, while senior Anna Yakimchenkova notched a win in her final UCF match, a 7-5, 6-4 performance over Thaddea Lock at No. 5.
Yakimchenkova wrapped up her senior year with a team-high 19 singles victories and 68 career wins, which rank tied for eighth in UCF's all-time record books.
The Thundering Herd now move on to the semifinals and will face either No. 3 Rice or No. 6 Houston.
For the latest news and information on the Knights, tickets or apparel log on to www.ucfathletics.com - the official site for UCF varsity sports. Also check out UCFPhotos.com, the exclusive fan source for UCF action sports pictures.
#50 Marshall 4, UCF 3
1. #31 Kellie Schmitt/Karolina Soor (MAR) def. Jenny Frisell/Kyla McNicol (UCF) 8-6
2. Elvira Serrot/Jennifer Carati (UCF) def. Jeanne Schwartz/Isabell Raich (MAR) 8-6
3. Thaddea Lock/Jessica Keener (MAR) def. Kenza Belbacha/Anna Yakimchenkova (UCF) 8-5
1. #53 Kellie Schmitt (MAR) def. Jenny Frisell (UCF) 6-1, 6-0
2. Elvira Serrot (UCF) def. Jeanne Schwartz (MAR) 6-3, 6-2
3. Karolina Soor (MAR) def. Kyla McNicol (UCF) 2-6, 6-4, 6-2
4. Kenza Belbacha (UCF) def. Isabell Raich (MAR) 7-6, 6-4
5. Anna Yakimchenkova (UCF) def. Thaddea Lock (MAR) 7-5, 6-4
6. Jessica Keener (MAR) def. Isa Ohlinger (UCF) 6-2, 6-0
Marshall 16-8; National ranking #50
2008 Conference USA Women's Tennis Championship Match 6