April 20, 2006
FARMER'S BRANCH, Texas - After enduring a three-hour delay and change of venue, No. 8 seed UCF topped No. 9 UTEP, 4-0, in the first round of the 2006 Conference USA Women's Tennis Championship at Brookhaven Country Club on Thursday. The Golden Knights (12-8) advance to play tournament host and No. 1 seed SMU on Friday at 11 a.m. ET.
Freshman Kenza Belbacha opened the day by defeating freshman Megan Pritchard, 6-1, 6-4 at No. 3 singles before senior Pamela Fernandez bounced back for a 2-6, 6-1, 6-1 win at the top of the lineup to give the Golden Knights a 2-0 lead.
At No. 2 singles, freshman Elvira Serrot also dropped her first set but recovered for a 3-6, 6-0, 6-2 victory over junior Katherine Palider. Sophomore Anna Yakimchenkova sealed the win when she beat freshman Sandra Spirta, 6-0, 6-1 at the No. 4 position.
Junior Megan Hunter and sophomore Kyla McNicol did not finish their matches.
The match was originally scheduled for 11 a.m. ET at the Garland Tennis Center, but severe thunderstorms forced the delay and relocation of the competition to the indoor courts at Brookhaven.
The Miners finished the season at 6-17.
1. Pamela Fernandez (UCF) def. Teri Wilkerson (UTEP), 2-6, 6-1, 6-1
2. Elvira Serrot (UCF) def. Katherine Palider (UTEP), 3-6, 6-0, 6-2
3. Kenza Belbacha (UCF) def. Megan Pritchard (UTEP), 6-1, 6-4
4. Anna Yakimchenkova (UCF) def. Sandra Spirta (UTEP), 6-0, 6-1
5. Megan Hunter (UCF) vs. Danielle King (UTEP), 4-5 DNF
6. Kyla McNicol (UCF) vs. Amber Brightly (UTEP), 4-3, DNF
1. Fernandez/Serrot (UCF) vs. King/Palider (UTEP), DNP
2. Hunter/Becky Gordon (UCF) vs. Pritchard/Spirta (UTEP), DNP
3. Yakimchenkova/McNicol (UCF) vs. Brightly/Vicky Michaud (UTEP), DNP
Order of Finish: Singles - 3, 1, 2, 4. Doubles - Did Not Play.