May 3, 2011
Read John Denton's Knights Insider | Follow us on Twitter | Get social with the Knights on Facebook
By Pat Salvas
ORLANDO, Fla. (UCFAthletics.com) - Just two days remain until the opening of the newest UCF Athletics facility on campus: The UCF Soccer and Track Stadium. The new stadium is just the latest in a long line of facility improvements and upgrades at UCF over just the last few years. The Knights' men's and women's soccer team will take to the field in the fall, but the track & field program will open the facility this Thursday, May 5, at the UCF Twilight meet.
The opening will feature a ribbon-cutting ceremony with Director of Athletics Keith Tribble and head coach Caryl Smith Gilbert along with several other esteemed guests. Fans are invited to join the Knights and the UCF community for the celebration, scheduled to begin at 5:30 p.m.
The UCF Soccer and Track Stadium will feature several new upgrades to the facility that is home to the defending Conference USA Champions in both the indoor and outdoor seasons. The track itself also received several upgrades during the process, including new long jump pits and a new runway.
UCF Soccer and Track Stadium Facts:
• Cost was roughly $1.2 million
• New stands with seating capacity for 1,475 fans, bringing total complex capacity to over 2,000
• New press box with sound system
• Permanent restroom facilities on site
• New fencing around entire complex
• New main entranceway with ornamental fencing and brick pillars with UCF logos
• Two new long jump pits and a new runway